[TLS] A new draft for "Using Identity as Raw Public Key in Transport Layer Security (TLS)" has been updated

Wang Haiguang <wang.haiguang.shieldlab@huawei.com> Wed, 26 December 2018 09:00 UTC

From: Wang Haiguang <wang.haiguang.shieldlab@huawei.com>
To: "tls@ietf.org" <tls@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2018 09:00:08 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.215.37.176]
Subject: [TLS] A new draft for "Using Identity as Raw Public Key in Transport Layer Security (TLS)" has been updated

Hello, everyone

We have just updated the internet draft for "Using Identity as Raw Public Key in Transport Layer Security (TLS)".

In this draft, we propose to use the Identity as raw public key, which further simplifies authentication and identity management of large scale IoT devices.

The updating are mainly in the IANA consideration part.

We have some IANA related issues that need expert from this group to help:
1) TLS protocol require OID to identify an signature algorithm used in authentication and key exchange.
     However, the identity-based signature algorithm (ECCSI) specified by IETF in RFC 6507 does not have an OID yet.
     We have written to IANA for consideration but do not get it yet.
2) TLS cipher suites and a  few TLS registries need to be updated also, by adding in the relative names for ECCSI:
     * TLS  cipher suites
     * TLS TLS KeyExchangeAlgorithm Registry
     * TLS ClientCertificateType Registry
     * TLS SignatureAlgorithm Registry

Although the draft is still personal draft , some telecom customer want to use TLS+ECCSI in their network for IoT
device authentication. Therefore, is it possible for IANA to assign value for above TLS registries and OID for ECCSI since ECCSI is specified by IETF?

Please give us some suggestion on the OID and TLS registries updating issues.

Below is the link to our recently uploaded draft.
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wang-tls-raw-public-key-with-ibc-03.txt

Best regards.

Haiguang