Re: [TLS] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-pettersen-tls-ext-multiple-ocsp-03.txt

"Yngve N. Pettersen (Developer Opera Software ASA)" <yngve@opera.com> Wed, 11 April 2012 14:20 UTC

To: Sean Turner <turners@ieca.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 16:20:14 +0200
From: "Yngve N. Pettersen (Developer Opera Software ASA)" <yngve@opera.com>
Cc: "tls@ietf.org" <tls@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [TLS] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-pettersen-tls-ext-multiple-ocsp-03.txt

Hello Sean,

Thanks for these comments.

Adopted most. Comments inline on the rest

On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 23:37:09 +0200, Sean Turner <turners@ieca.com> wrote:

> <no hat>
>
> Yngve,
>
> Here are some comments on the draft (hopefully this will encourage
> others to also read it):
<snip>
> 4. The RFC editor will move the "requirements language" paragraph to the
> main body so you might as well do it now.  Move it to s1.1.

The placement of that section is the default used by the xml2rfc template
implemented by the XMLmind extension, as part of the "front matter"
section of the file. This means that the initial location is determined by
the template, and is that way for everyone using that template.

non-WG: It might be that the xml2rfc extension developers and the RFC
Editor should coordinate?  Since the "empty" template already adds several
sections, such as the Introduction and IANA sections, moving the note into
the introduction section of the template might solve the issue.

At present I'll leave it where it is.

> 5. The copy right notice section contains the pre-5378 paragraph, but
> the draft first appeared after 5378 was published.  Is there some bits
> in here that are copied from 5246 or somewhere else?  If not, then you
> can delete that para.

The text is based on the relevant RFC 6066 text (taken from the draft),
but that RFC is again based on RFC 4366, with only a few differences in
that section. RFC 6066 also contain the same pre-5378 licensing language,
so I therefore think it is necessary to include it, unless I am told
otherwise by those better versed in the licensing rules.

<snip>
> 13. s1: I guess I'd tweak the following a bit:
>
> OLD:
>
>   The author is aware that the cost of providing this bandwidth
>   just for site certificates has been a concern to some CAs,
>   particularly the smaller ones, and it follows naturally that doubling
>   or tripling this cost could be problematic for the CAs.  The author
>   is also aware of at least one case when OCSP requests for a single
>   high-traffic site caused significant network problems for the issuing
>   CA.
>
> NEW:
>
>   CAs should be aware that there is a cost associated with providing
>   bandwidth to support OCSP.  There are cases where OCSP requests for a
>   single
>   high-traffic site caused significant network problems for the issuing
>   CA.

My intention here was to make it clear who the source is.

In talks with CAs the bandwidth cost have been a concern for several CAs,
particularly the smaller ones.

I forgot to mention this during my presentation to the WG, but recent
numbers from CAs indicate that about 30% of the OCSP traffic is for
intermediate CA cert status requests. There are currently two clients
AFAIK, FF and Chrome, that request OCSP for intermediates. Those two make
up about 40% of the browser market, so there is at least some caching
benefit.

I changed the text from

    The benefit to the
    issuing CA is less clear, as providing the bandwidth for the OCSP
    responder can be costly, especially for CAs with many subscriber
    sites.  The author is aware that the cost of providing this bandwidth
    just for site certificates has been a concern to some CAs,
    particularly the smaller ones, and it follows naturally that doubling
    or tripling this cost could be problematic for the CAs.  The author
    is also aware of at least one case when OCSP requests for a single
    high-traffic site caused significant network problems for the issuing
    CA.

   The benefit to the issuing CA is less clear, as providing the bandwidth
   for the OCSP responder can be costly, especially for CAs with many high
   traffic subscriber sites, and this cost is a concern for many CAs. There
   are cases where OCSP requests for a single high-traffic site caused
   significant network problems for the issuing CA.

How does that look?

<snip>
> 17. s2.2: So OCSP is definitely used a lot more than SCVP, but it is the
> other status protocol.  Should we just add it now?

Could be; I am, however, unfamiliar with SCVP, but if the WG wants it
added, and I am provided additional text as a starting point, then I can
include it. Adding SCVP will probably require some editorial
reorganization of section 2, splitting it into an overall format, an OCSP,
and a SVCP subsection.

> 18. s2.2: Need a normative reference for DER.  Use the x680/x690
> references from 5246.

Added. The "misc" citation entry had rather long names, though:
CCITT.X680.2002

> 19. s2.2: The nonce extension encoding is being fixed.  I sure hope
> it'll get done sooner rather than later.  Note that the bis draft does
> define the encoding as an OCTET STRING so it's aligned.

Given performance issues, as a nonce require signing of each response,
most responders do not AFAIK enable support for nonces, and while Opera
supported it at one time, we have since removed it. In relation to
stapling using nonces would almost certainly remove most of the
performance benefit.

> 20. Hmmm should this draft reference draft-ietf-pkix-rfc2560bis instead
> of RFC 2560?

Depends on which get finished first. At present I think we should keep
them separate, just to be on the safe side. If 2560bis is completed first
we can update the reference then.

> 21. s2.2: r/[RFC2560]) ./[RFC2560]).
>
> 22. s2.2: r/that is,/That is,
>
> 23. s.2.2: Why the MUST NOT here:
>
>   The list MAY
>   contain fewer OCSP responses than there were certificates in the
>   Certificate handshake message, but there MUST NOT be more responses
>   than there were certificates in the list

Strictly speaking it does not need to be MUST NOT, but I suspect that in
such a case there would be something wrong about the server configuration.

AT the very least, the document should define handling of such a case

It could be changed to a requirement that the response must only be used
to check the corresponding certificate list element, and ignore responses
that does not have a corresponding certificate in the list. Requiring the
sequence of the lists to match means that if certificate lists that are
non-compliant, containing extra or unordered certificates, the client does
not have to try to match responses to certificates (an n^2 operation).

Thoughts?

--
Sincerely,
Yngve N. Pettersen