Re: [TLS] WG actions (was Encrypt-then-MAC again (was padding bug))

Juho Vähä-Herttua <juhovh@iki.fi> Thu, 05 December 2013 12:31 UTC

From: Juho Vähä-Herttua <juhovh@iki.fi>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 14:27:38 +0200
To: Alfredo Pironti <alfredo@pironti.eu>
Cc: "<tls@ietf.org>" <tls@ietf.org>, Peter Gutmann <p.gutmann@auckland.ac.nz>
Subject: Re: [TLS] WG actions (was Encrypt-then-MAC again (was padding bug))

> On 5.12.2013, at 13.52, Alfredo Pironti <alfredo@pironti.eu> wrote:
>
> My understanding is that humming is preferred, as it provides some
> form of anonymity, while voting would quite break it. Voting/humming
> on itself is also a delicate point, as there are not eligible voters
> lists; finally, IETF (always according to my understanding) is based
> on consensus, so for example, winning by a few votes would still mean
> that there is no consensus.

This answers my question and I stand corrected, voting is probably not a good idea at IETF where main goal is the consensus on issues. However, I see people already collecting "votes" to prove support for their arguments, because a vocal minority can easily send off some people. I believe there are several people for whom TLS, although important, is not their main focus.

The main reason seems to be that I rarely see chairs taking part in discussion or steering it to the right direction. The voting suggestion was mainly a wild throw that something should be done. But nevertheless it feels like the decisions are made somewhere else than here...

> Of course, humming has the drawback of requiring some sort of physical presence.

Someone at the meeting should hum for the whole mailing list probably. But it would be better if him/her was neutral and active participant in the discussion.

Juho