[TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Narrowing the slowdown down...

Glen <glen@amsl.com> Mon, 27 June 2011 14:44 UTC

Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 07:44:04 -0700
From: Glen <glen@amsl.com>
To: iesg@ietf.org, iaoc@ietf.org, iab@ietf.org, wgchairs@ietf.org
Cc: tools-development@ietf.org, Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com>, "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>, Pete Resnick <presnick@qualcomm.com>, henrik@levkowetz.com, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Narrowing the slowdown down...

All -

I have sent detailed data to the tools team and Henrik, but I wanted to alert
everyone to a pattern I've seen during my analysis:

This request:

POST /doc/draft-ietf-payload-rfc3016bis/edit/position/ HTTP/1.1" 302 -
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-payload-rfc3016bis/edit/position/

was seen in the logs at the start of both slowdowns, and I now suspect that
there may be database corruption and/or some problem with the code related
either to ballot positions generally, or this draft specifically.

It comes to my mind that, while I was gone, a request came in to clear the
ballot positions for a draft, which the secretariat did.  This may have been
the draft that was cleared - and clearing it may have caused some type of
problem for the datatracker.

Of course, the datatracker should not loop or fail even if data is bad, but
not all possibilities can be forseen.

It is my hope that we will both be able to correct a potential database
problem, and find and harden a potential datatracker bug, quickly.

In the meantime, until we hear from the tools team, it might be best to
at least refrain from voting on the above draft, if not all drafts.

If you do vote on a draft, and get a response, don't get too excited either
way.  The server actually survives for an hour or more once the bug starts
using resources (I'm actually proud of this - it's a HUGE server with lots
of resources - the old servers would have died much more quickly. ;-) so
things can appear okay for a while.

Now that we know what to look for, we can catch it earlier, but I'm still
hopeful for a quick fix and repair today.

Thanks,
Glen