Re: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] How the datatracker uses the repository and archive. (was Re: Internet-draft repository and archive)

Tony Hansen <tony@att.com> Wed, 18 June 2014 16:47 UTC

Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:47:28 -0400
From: Tony Hansen <tony@att.com>
To: tools-development@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] How the datatracker uses the repository and archive. (was Re: Internet-draft repository and archive)

On 6/17/14, 3:15 PM, Robert Sparks wrote:
> This message is only about the datatracker proper. I will bring
> rfcdiff up in another thread.
>
> The good news is that the datatracker code is already using the
> repository correctly almost everywhere.
>
> Looking through the codebase, I find only two places were we point
> into tools.ietf.org for draft content.
>
> The first I don't _think_ is actively used. It's in draft/util, when
> run manually to extract metadata from draft contents.
>
> The second is for talking about expired drafts.
>
> Please look at
> http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-housley-evidence-extns/
>
> It currently says:
> This Internet-Draft is no longer active. Unofficial copies of old
> Internet-Drafts can be found here:
> http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-housley-evidence-extns
>
> How should that be modified? Do we leave "Unofficial copies" and just
> change the URL to
> http://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-housley-evidence-extns-01.txt
> ?
>
> Or do we wait until we've ported the index and search functionality
> from tools so that could be just
> http://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-housley-evidence-extns
> ?

The reference to tools.ietf.org/id/draft-housley-evidence-extns pulls up
the most recent version of the draft, in this case the -01 version.

So pointing it at
www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-housley-evidence-extns-01.txt would be a
direct replacement for the current functionality.

However, I note that if the link had used /html/ instead of /id/, it
would have pulled up the html page with links to all of the versions.
And I think that that is more useful tool that where it is currently
pointing.

Consequently, I think it might be BETTER to wait for search
functionality, allowing the datatracker to reference all of the
documents in the archive with that name.

> Do we change the sentence that says "Unofficial copies of" to say
> "Copies of"?

Why is it plural? If it stays as a reference to the single document, I
think it would be best written as:

"A copy of the old Internet-Draft can be found here:"

> Or do we show the contents of the draft from the archive (since we
> have it)
> along with something to make it visually distinct?
> (Possibly with a big [EXPIRED] marking)?

I hear that Watermarks R Us sells some nice background images like that. :-)

I think keeping the link is just fine instead of using a watermark. It
emphasizes that the document is "gone" and you have to jump through
additional hoops to get at it.

     Tony Hansen