[TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Notes from the June 11 Tools Team Call

"Amy Vezza" <avezza@amsl.com> Wed, 12 June 2019 17:34 UTC

Return-Path: <avezza@amsl.com>
X-Original-To: tools-development@ietfa.amsl.com
Delivered-To: tools-development@ietfa.amsl.com
Received: from localhost (localhost []) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id CDBED120073 for <tools-development@ietfa.amsl.com>; Wed, 12 Jun 2019 10:34:46 -0700 (PDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at amsl.com
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -4.2
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-4.2 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, RCVD_IN_DNSWL_MED=-2.3, SPF_HELO_NONE=0.001, SPF_PASS=-0.001] autolearn=ham autolearn_force=no
Received: from mail.ietf.org ([]) by localhost (ietfa.amsl.com []) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id 3a-c_YROrT_K for <tools-development@ietfa.amsl.com>; Wed, 12 Jun 2019 10:34:44 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from mail.amsl.com (c8a.amsl.com []) (using TLSv1.2 with cipher AECDH-AES256-SHA (256/256 bits)) (No client certificate requested) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTPS id E12D312000E for <tools-development@ietf.org>; Wed, 12 Jun 2019 10:34:44 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from localhost (localhost []) by c8a.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id F27BB1C41DC for <tools-development@ietf.org>; Wed, 12 Jun 2019 10:34:26 -0700 (PDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at amsl.com
Received: from c8a.amsl.com ([]) by localhost (c8a.amsl.com []) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id cMSpJ3HR1GoO for <tools-development@ietf.org>; Wed, 12 Jun 2019 10:34:26 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from www.amsl.com (localhost []) by c8a.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id CA5D11C41D2 for <tools-development@ietf.org>; Wed, 12 Jun 2019 10:34:26 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from (SquirrelMail authenticated user av1) by www.amsl.com with HTTP; Wed, 12 Jun 2019 10:34:26 -0700
Message-ID: <f96a4cc896026ccdc31494123a4af439.squirrel@www.amsl.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 10:34:26 -0700
From: "Amy Vezza" <avezza@amsl.com>
To: tools-development@ietf.org
Reply-To: avezza@amsl.com
User-Agent: SquirrelMail/1.4.21
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
Importance: Normal
Archived-At: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/tools-development/h7SPuLma1sH-ydP7Q11k6tExRWA>
Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Notes from the June 11 Tools Team Call
X-BeenThere: tools-development@ietf.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.29
Precedence: list
List-Id: Tools Development list server <tools-development.ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/options/tools-development>, <mailto:tools-development-request@ietf.org?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/tools-development/>
List-Post: <mailto:tools-development@ietf.org>
List-Help: <mailto:tools-development-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-development>, <mailto:tools-development-request@ietf.org?subject=subscribe>
X-List-Received-Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 17:34:47 -0000

Hi all!

I may have missed some nuance here or there, but here are the notes from
yesterday's tools team call. I tried to pull out the action items for ease
of next month's meeting. Hopefully that helps!

Best regards,



Tools Call Agenda -- 11 June 2019 at 1:00 Eastern

Notes taken by Amy Vezza


Glen Barney
Alissa Cooper
Ryan Cross
Bob Hinden
Russ Housley
Henrik Levkowetz
Karen Moreland
Robert Sparks
Amy Vezza
Eric Vyncke
Portia Wenze-Danley
Greg Wood

Agenda bash: Robert want to talk about Web site stuff.

1. Datatracker Projects
  - Expected Datatracker Releases -- Robert and Henrik
    -- https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/browser/trunk/PLAN
 - Python2 to Python3 transition -- Henrik

Python2 to Python3 transition is underway. Henrik reports it is just at
the begining of the work item. He had to re-factor in a number of
migrations to be released soon. He reports he will continue with Python
work only unless something comes up.

Robert mentioned the need to schedule the large number of migrations
because they will require an outage for the datatracker of two or three
hours. In addition, the outage will need to be announced to the community
as early as possible so it isn't a surprise.

There was a short discussion regarding the timing of the outage and it was
agreed getting it done earlier was better than later, because if left too
late it might impact the Internet-Drafts submissions deadline before IETF
105. Glen Barney indicated he will work with Robert and Henrik on the
timing of the outage for the work. The outage was tentatively scheduled
for over the weekend (June 15 or 16) or early next week.

  - Meeting Application Improvements by IOLA -- Robert

Robert reported that IOLA's expected start is in August.

  - IRSG balloting -- Proposals under evaluation

Russ reported that the team passed a recommendation for the IRSG Balloting
Proposals to Portia. As such, the Tools Team part is done for this item.

Robert Sparks spoke about the team having access to one, perhaps two, new
IDIQ vendors, both whom are willing to be in the IDIQ pool for
considerations for other projects. He indicated that they may be willing
to take on the task of the Automatic Schedule Generator project, but would
prefer to let them work on some other existing review tool tickets as a
first project.

Action Item: Robert Sparks to draft some text for a Statement of Work for
the existing review tool tickets for potential new IDIQ vendors.

2. Community & Other Projects
   - Search across the IETF web presence -- Greg
     -- Search over www, datatracker, and mailarchive

Greg Wood reported the www.ietf.org Web site  search function does not
return results from the datatracker or the mailarchive. The current
expectation from the community is that a single search should return
results from all of the related IETF sources.

Robert stated that the technical ask for that kind of search capability is
quite large and asked for clarification.

Greg mentioned that he had tested some Google and Bing searches on IETF
protocol technologies, and noted that those search engines also returned
mostly www pages, and left out relevant datatracker and mailarchive

There was a short discussion on relevancy of terms and results necessary,
which may indicate the need for a tagging system.

Action Item: Greg Wood to define the issue around the need for better
search and the relevancy of search results.

   - Transfer operations of guides.ietf.org the Secretariat -- Robert

Robert reported that the guides site is running in a container on the main
site. They found an issue with sending mail, but a patch was applied and
the site is now functional.

He also reported that the latest deployment of Wagtail now has a fix in
place to show PDF and TXT documents without the automatic download issue.
This was needed for appeals, PR actions, agendas, meeting minutes, etc.
There was an indication that moving regular group meeting materials to the
datatracker may be a better way of archiving them. Each group such as the
LLC Board or IESG has the ability to put scheduled meeting materials into
the datatracker as current working groups do. Each meeting instance can
have a meeting agenda and meeting minutes as well as other associated
materials uploaded to the datatracker.

Action Item: Henrik and Robert to work on the datatracker to enable Groups
to have associated meeting materials pages.

3. RFC Services Projects
   - RPC testing of new RFC format tools -- Heather and Robert

Robert reported that the testing of the new RFC formal tools is going
well. Most reports back have been more on polishing the tool, than
changing it. The RPC is working hard to get back to meeting the SLA.

Action item: Robert to speak with Heather about the final cutover date
from v2 to v3.

  - Rendering errata in more useful way -- Robert
     -- Code is available for testing

Robert reported that the code is in the source code repository. Currently
one bug is known, but otherwise it looks good. The code was accepted, and
moved to the IETF tools gitHub repository.

 4. Server Infrastructure
   - IESG discussions of DMARC -- Henrik and Alexey
     -- When do we expect the next release of OpenARC? Ever?

Henrik got a response from OpenArc with a code release, which he indicates
is good code, and was applied, but unfortunately, it did not solve the
underlying problem that a fix was requested about. Still waiting for the
requested fix.

5. YANG Catalog
   - Point DNS records to server operated by IETF Secretariat -- Glen

Glen reported that AMS has control of the new yangcatalogue domain.

Eric Vyncke reports that [something] was still pointing to the old
infrastructure and not the new one, yet. He also requested both
yangvalidator.org and yangcatalogue.org be domains under the IETF. Both
are necessary and serve different purposes for the YANG community.
YANGValidator is for those who have YANG models they want to check to make
sure they will work, and YANGCatalogue for those who are looking for what
YANG models are already available.

Action Item: Russ to ask Glenn Deen and the LLC Board to get the relevant
domain names needed.

   - Adding features from the yangvalidator project -- Eric

Eric reporting that adding features from YANG validators is still under
way. There was a short discussion on whether or not to include IETF in the
domain name would be useful or not, and how to set up mailing lists on the
new domain(s). Robert warned that even with different domain names, the
lists need to have unique identifiers as in both "info at
yangcatalogue.org" and "info at yangvalidators.org" should not co-exist.
The name of the mailing list should be unique. He suggested the naming
convension "ycinfo at yangcatalogue"  or "yvinfo at yangvalidators.org."

Glen asked if postconfirm would be need any special handling, and Henrik
didn't think it would if they wanted to enable it for the lists. Glen,
Robert and Henrik will coordinate adding the domain(s) to mailman when the
domain(s) are obtained.

6. SustainIETF.org
   - Transfer domain name to the IETF Trust -- Glen

Update from Glen before the call: Initial inquiry out to ISOC, they are to
provide dump of database/site for future use, and authcodes for the
domain, which I will then transfer.  Status is waiting on ISOC for these
things.  (I understand from Alissa and Russ that staging of the website is
on hold, and may be discontinued, but I am getting all the data from ISOC
so they can shut down.  I'll transfer the domain to us, then hold the site
data for future decisions by leadership.)

This action item is waiting on the transfer.

7. Parking Lot
  - Security Review of RPC Tools -- Robert and Heather

  - Discontinue pipermail email archives -- Robert and Ryan
    -- MHonArc URLs have be redirected to mail-archive

Glen asked if this item was complete, but Russ indicated that there were a
few non-public archives and files to be dealt with, so work is not yet

8. AOB