RE: [Tools-discuss] Idnits-1.84 feedback

"Scott Hollenbeck" <sah@428cobrajet.net> Wed, 04 January 2006 14:01 UTC

From: Scott Hollenbeck <sah@428cobrajet.net>
To: 'Henrik Levkowetz' <henrik@levkowetz.com>
Subject: RE: [Tools-discuss] Idnits-1.84 feedback
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 08:52:43 -0500
Cc: tools-discuss@ietf.org
Sender: tools-discuss-bounces@ietf.org

A switch sounds like a good idea.  Maybe a text box on the web form, too?
Of course, it's not really a big deal if the user recognizes what's going
on.  It's probably OK to just leave things as-is.

I know that the current year needs to be checked when submitting a new
document, but my use case is a little bit different: I also check documents
that are being submitted to the IESG for evaluation.  They might have been
written in the prior year.

> and have idnits accept the given year instead of the current
> year in copyright
> text, maybe?
>
> > The BCP 78 error is interesting.  The text is in the
> document, but it exists
> > after the copyright notice.  Did the tool skip it because
> of the copyright
> > date error?
>
> Yes.  If the text had been in a separate paragraph, it would have been
> recognized, but I do some extra work to also recognize
> multiple boiler-plate
> paragraphs which has been contracted into one.  This is done
> by concatenating
> potential boilerplate paragraphs and matching the aggregate
> against the
> current paragraph, and thus fails when one of the parts in
> the input text
> fails to match.
>
> A strategy of instead trying to split paragraphs in the draft
> input into
> potential individual boilerplate paragraphs would not fail in
> this way, but
> would also (I think) be quite a bit more complex.  I may
> consider re-writing
> to do in the future, but won't do it now.

Again, it's no big deal.  I just wanted to be sure that I was interpreting
the output correctly.

Thanks,
-Scott-