Re: [Tools-discuss] FW: Subpoena to IETF / Authentication of Documents

Henrik Levkowetz <henrik@levkowetz.com> Wed, 15 April 2015 14:35 UTC

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 16:35:32 +0200
From: Henrik Levkowetz <henrik@levkowetz.com>
To: Brian Mack <brianmack@quinnemanuel.com>
Cc: "'tools-discuss@ietf.org'" <tools-discuss@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] FW: Subpoena to IETF / Authentication of Documents

Hi Brian,

On 2015-04-15 15:28, Brian Mack wrote:
> Henry,

Henrik, actually.

> We are outside lawyers for Metaswitch Networks and are involved in ongoing litigation in the Eastern District of Texas.
>
> We subpoenaed the Internet Society d/b/a the IETF and they provided us with a declaration authenticating several IETF RFCs (and providing the date of publication (public availability)).
>
> The IETF was unable to authenticate several documents hosted at tools.ietf.org (see below).  Would someone who runs the "tools" page be able to provide us with a short declaration?  We could send over a draft for you to review an sign.
>
> These documents are very important to our case as prior art publications.

What I can assert about the documents is limited, given the date of the
documents (dates in 2000), as the dates are before I started fetching
documents directly from the IETF site.

There are 2 archives which started fetching documents earlier than I did,
and at least one of them is still up and running; hopefully you will have
better luck contacting the maintainer of that repository.

You can find the repository here:
  http://www.potaroo.net/ietf/

It is being run by Geoff Huston, <gih@apnic.net>.

If he has the documents in question in his repository, he may be able to
assert that he has copied them directly from the ietf site at the dates
indicated by the file system.  On my system, that's respectively

but I am not in a position to assert that they were in my possession
with their current content at that time, unfortunately.

Best regards,

	Henrik