Re: [Tools-discuss] A major restructure to the datatracker database will be deployed soon

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Tue, 21 November 2023 03:42 UTC

Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 22:41:21 -0500
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: tools-discuss <tools-discuss@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] A major restructure to the datatracker database will be deployed soon

Robert,

Tiny apparent glitch with a link that leads to itself.

Example:

Look up RFC5321.  Everything looks fine except there is a "Was"
entry listing draft-klensin-rfc2821bis.  That is correct, except
it is a link leading to
<https://dt-rfc.dev.ietf.org/doc/draft-klensin-rfc2821bis/11/>.
And that immediately redirect to
<https://dt-rfc.dev.ietf.org/doc/rfc5321/>, which is where I
started.   Confusing and time-wasting at best.

Based on a small sample, the problem is not unique to that
document.

Comment (I don't know if this is a Tools issue or an RSWG one,
but let's start here): Since before there was a datatracker,
before there were streams, and, indeed, before there was an
IETF, the authoritative source of information about RFCs has
been the RFC Editor, including their web site since that web
site was established.  This revision and interface seems to take
us much closer to the datatracker being the authoritative source
or, perhaps, a redundant authoritative source (almost
universally considered a bad idea among those with database
management expertise).  If that is not your intention, it seems
to me that the display pages could use some disclaimers.  If it
is, it seems to be to be a strategic change, not just a tooling
one.

   john

--On Monday, November 20, 2023 17:04 -0600 Robert Sparks