[Tools-discuss] Internet Draft Submission

"Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <Chris.Dearlove@baesystems.com> Mon, 15 April 2013 09:44 UTC

From: "Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <Chris.Dearlove@baesystems.com>
To: Tools Team Discussion <tools-discuss@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 09:44:45 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.109.62.6]
Subject: [Tools-discuss] Internet Draft Submission

I'm trying to update an I-D of which I'm an author. Through finger trouble (I presume) I submitted the xml as txt, and unsurprisingly it failed IDnits. Unfortunately I failed to realise this and the nature of the error messages made me think I had wrong boilerplate. I missed the opportunity to cancel then.

Now any attempt to update the I-D is blocked. If I upload a new version it ignores it and only uses the old version. There's a button to send all authors an email to the authorised cancellation page. It doesn't work - and it's not just me, I've checked and co-author not getting it either. And I've tried more than once. So far nothing except an automated response from ietf-action.

So I think I've found a denial of service attack on the IETF, I could upload broken I-Ds where important work is being done and block the authors being able to update them.

More seriously, why this behaviour? I think it should be fairly clear that if someone (unauthenticated) uploads a document and it's broken, the default action should not be to retain it and block all further attempts to update that document. Blocking should only be possible once authenticated. If someone submits something and it's broken, the response should be "this will shortly be discarded, unless you authenticate and say you really want this held waiting for correction".

But really, I just want to submit my I-D. Last Friday when I started this.

--
Christopher Dearlove
Senior Principal Engineer, Communications Group

BAE Systems (Operations) Limited
Registered in England & Wales No: 1996687