[Tools-discuss] [Inquiry #45800] http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/MICROSOFT-499.txt

" via RT" <ietf-ipr@ietf.org> Fri, 25 March 2005 04:49 UTC

From: via RT <ietf-ipr@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 18:19:08 -0500
Cc: moore@cs.utk.edu, ietf-ipr@ietf.org, tools-discuss@ietf.org
Subject: [Tools-discuss] [Inquiry #45800] http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/MICROSOFT-499.txt
Sender: tools-discuss-bounces@ietf.org

Dear Keith:

The IPR disclosure that you are referring to, "Microsoft's Patent
Statment pertaining to draft-ietf-dhc-ipv4-autoconfig and
draft-cheshire-ipv4-linklocal," ID #164, was submitted by Microsoft
Corporation on August 3, 2000.  Your inquiry raises three issues that
are actually broader than this particular IPR disclosure.  I will try to
address each one independently.

Issue #1:  The document draft-cheshire-ipv4-linklocal-00.txt, "Dynamic
Configuration of IPv4 link-local addresses," was an independent
submission that expired.  The document
draft-ietf-zeroconf-ipv4-linklocal-17.txt,"Dynamic Configuration of IPv4
Link-Local Addresses," is a working group submission that has just been
published as an RFC.

>From the titles of the two documents, it would appear that they are
related.  However, the Secretariat does not make these decisions.  When
an I-D is published as an RFC, or when one RFC "obsoletes" another RFC,
then the pairs of documents are automatically marked as related in our
systems.  However, if one I-D replaces another I-D (e.g., when an
individual submission is adopted by a working group, and its filename is
changed from "draft-author" to "draft-ietf-wg"), then the only way that
the Secretariat knows that the documents are related is if someone tells
us.  In the case of these two documents, we were not given that
information, and the documents are not marked as related in our systems.
 If they were marked as related in our system, then the IPR disclosure
would be returned when a search is performed for IPR related to either one.

Issue #2: The Secretariat does not update an IPR disclosure unless the
submitter of the original IPR disclosure requests that we do so.  For
example, we do not make judgements about the documents to which
Microsoft's patent No. 6,101,499 applies.  If we know that two documents
are related, then our system will automatically link IPR disclosures
submitted for both documents (see Issue #1 above).

Issue #3: If you believe that Microsoft has IPR in
draft-cheshire-ipv4-linklocal-00.txt due to patent No. 6,101,499, then
you may take action to link the original IPR disclosure to that document
in our system.  All you need do is submit a "third-party" IPR
disclosure.  Go to the "IETF IPR Disclosure Page,"
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/ipr_disclosure.cgi, click on the
link that says: "Notify the IETF of IPR other than your own," and
complete the template.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions or require
assistance in filing a "third-party" IPR disclosure.

Regards,

Barbara