RE: more comments on draft-ietf-trade-iotp-v1.0-protocol-05.txt

Andras Varga <andras@metechnology.com> Fri, 10 September 1999 11:46 UTC

From: Andras Varga <andras@metechnology.com>
To: ietf-trade@lists.eListX.com
MMDF-Warning: Parse error in original version of preceding line at one.eListX.com
Subject: RE: more comments on draft-ietf-trade-iotp-v1.0-protocol-05.txt
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 13:10:17 +0200
Sender: ietf-trade-owner@lists.eListX.com

Please see comments inlined...

>  PaymtPending    Payment Pending. The payment is a longer process and cannot
>                  be completed while the Consumer is online. (For example,
>                  Direct Debit or Bank Transfer is used for the payment which
>                  takes several hours or days to complete.)
>                  This is only valid if ProcessState is CompletedOk.
>                  No recovery possible.
>
>  Paid            Payment finished successfully (as opposed to being pending).
>                  This is only valid if ProcessState is CompletedOk.
>                  No recovery possible.
> ##IMOH I think this distinction, whilst technically correct, could be
> confusing to a Consumer. Once they've completed a Payment
> Exchange, they will think, for all intents and purposes, that they've
> "paid". A message that says "payment pending" could cause confusion
> and they might think that something has gone wrong and the payment
> perhaps won't work. I prefer to leave it as it is. OTOH, if the developer
> of a payment supplement wants to make the distinction then they can
> include text in the StatusDesc attribute to distinguish between the two
> states. Propose no change.##

I accept.

----
> If the payment completion code is PaymtPending, it might be
> useful NOT to return the PayReceipt component immediately in the
> Payment Response Block. In this case, the Consumer could retrieve
> the PayReceipt later with an Inquiry when the payment finished. I believe
> this is not possible in the current version of IOTP. Opinions?
> ##Correct. It's not possible to do what you suggest in the
> current version of IOTP. The behaviour you suggest also does not
> represent what happens in the real world. For example, if you pay
> by check you get a receipt at the time you hand over the check.
> The fact the check might "bounce" is handled separately. I think it
> is a good idea, at least initially, to mirror real world behaviour.
> Propose no change.##

I accept this. Practice will show if any change is needed in IOTP.

> Again 7.16.2 Payment Completion Codes:
> IOTP> BadInstrument      Bad instrument. There is a problem with the
> IOTP>                    Payment Instrument being used which
> IOTP>                    means that it is unable to be used for the payment.
>
> A potential error situation is that the payment amount is too small
> (or too big) for the given brand/protocol. For example, credit cards
> cannot be used for micropayments. Since this is not a problem with the
> Payment Instrument itself, I recommend the error description
> be changed to:
>   "The Payment Instrument cannot be used for the payment for
>   some reason (e.g. the credit card is invalid, or payment amount is too
>   small/too big for the Payment Instrument)."
> An alternative would be to introduce AmountTooLarge and AmountTooSmall
> error codes.
> ## You can use the ValueTooSmall and ValueTooLarge error
> codes for this. The Error Description can be used to fine tune the
> meaning.##

I accept that no change is required, with the comment that this is
rather a business error (recovery is possible) and it can be covered
by one of BadInstrument, InstNotValid or Unspecified.

----
> Comment:
> Authentication Exchange can be used to communicate trading role info
> between trading roles. For example, the Delivery Handler can
> authenticate the Consumer to obtain the shipping address. A potential
> problem is that Authentication is initiated by the Delivery Handler
> not the Consumer, so I believe currently there is no way for the
> Consumer to tell a changed shipping address to the Delivery Handler
> unless the Delivery Handler explicitly asks for it in an Authentication
> Reqeuest. Opinions?
> ## This has been already discussed. See
> http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/199908/msg00035.html##

FYI, we figured out another way to request shipping to a different address
from the Delivery Handler (by means of a new critial element). If someone
is interested please write.

Andras