[tram] STUN Origin Security Considerations

Brandon Williams <brandon.williams@akamai.com> Wed, 19 November 2014 01:25 UTC

Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 20:25:01 -0500
From: Brandon Williams <brandon.williams@akamai.com>
To: "tram@ietf.org" <tram@ietf.org>
Subject: [tram] STUN Origin Security Considerations

Hi all,

In the meeting, I promised to follow up on this with a note to the list.

Text in the current draft states the following:

    The STUN ORIGIN attribute also has privacy implications in that the
    origin information is shared with a STUN or TURN server which
    otherwise might not know this information.  This information could be
    used to track usage of real-time communication services.  A STUN or
    TURN server will always know the public IP address of each user, but
    the ORIGIN attribute provides more information about which service or
    provider is being used.  The particular STUN and TURN servers used
    are selected by the real-time communications service provider (i.e.
    the web provider for WebRTC or the SIP or XMPP service provider).  In
    addition, they are usually also run by the same provider, or by a
    trusted partner, especially for TURN.  However, a service or provider
    using a public STUN server needs to recognize that the operator of
    the public STUN server will learn the identity of the service or
    provider through this extension.

The last three sentences give the impression that the privacy concern
does not apply to TURN servers, only to STUN servers, because TURN
servers are more likely to be run by the application provider or a
trusted partner of the application provider. This might not be true for
auto-discovered, public, and other types of untrusted 3rd party TURN
servers. The draft refers to "public STUN server" privacy implications,
but I think the language could be broadened to cover all untrusted 3rd
party relay servers.

I propose the following minor modifications to the text, which I think
clarify the intent. My changes are inclosed in [ ].

    The particular STUN and TURN servers used are [usually] selected by
    the real-time communications provider ...

    However, a service or provider using an [untrusted third party] STUN
    [or TURN] server needs to recognize that the operator of the
    [third party] STUN [or TURN] server will learn the identity of the
    service or provider through this extension.

Does this seem reasonable?

--Brandon

--
Brandon Williams; Senior Principal Software Engineer
Emerging Products Engineering; Akamai Technologies Inc.