Re: [rbridge] comments on draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-oam-00

Yizhou Li <liyizhou@huawei.com> Tue, 09 August 2011 09:44 UTC

Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 17:30:21 +0800
From: Yizhou Li <liyizhou@huawei.com>
To: 'David M Bond' <dmbond@us.ibm.com>
Cc: d3e3e3@gmail.com, 'Erik Nordmark' <nordmark@acm.org>, rbridge@postel.org, vishwas.manral@hp.com
Subject: Re: [rbridge] comments on draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-oam-00
Sender: rbridge-bounces@postel.org

Hi David,
Please see [yz]

-----Original Message-----
From: David M Bond [mailto:dmbond@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 3:28 AM
To: Yizhou Li
Cc: d3e3e3@gmail.com; 'Erik Nordmark'; rbridge@postel.org;
vishwas.manral@hp.com

Hi Yizhou,

My main concern here is that the data must be able to look like real data
at least up to the end of the inner ethernet header otherwise the OAM will
be useless if we can't get the data to follow a path data is failing on.

So I guess there are two questions here:
1) Do we allow the Inner.MacDA to be anything other than the reserved
address? I think we have to otherwise we face the problem mentioned above.
If we do allow this should the current channel draft be updated to allow
for this exception?
2) If we allow #1 then an egress Rbridge would have to listen for the OAM
Inner.ethertype and not de-encapsulate that data: rather it would need to
send the frame to the OAM processing. Is this what you are asking for more
explanation on below?

[yz]Yes. I do not have a strong opinion if we should allow Inner.MacDA to be
arbitrary MAC for non-native oam frame. Checking on a reserved destination
multicast mac may be an easier way to identify the oam frame. Using
ethertype only for identifying oam frame seems also workable for me.
Otherwise any better choice? Using native frame does have the problem you
mentioned below.

Also, I like your idea about using the native rbridge channel frames. If I
understand it correctly essentially this would be involving end stations in
the oam protocol, the only problem is it would only work for ping whereas
traceroute requires the hop count to be varied and the end stations can
only send "untamed" native frames.

Thanks,
David