[rbridge] Additioanla clarification Abridges port types Re: A question about (R)STP and routing protocol / requestfor comments to Abridges draft

robey at huawei.com (robey) Tue, 07 March 2006 01:56 UTC

From: "robey at huawei.com"
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 09:56:17 +0800
Subject: [rbridge] Additioanla clarification Abridges port types Re: A question about (R)STP and routing protocol / requestfor comments to Abridges draft

Hi,Guillermo,
See my interleaving opions.
Thank you much!
Robey

----- Original Message -----
From: "Guillermo Ib??ez" <gibanez at it.uc3m.es>
To: "Developing a hybrid router/bridge." <rbridge at postel.org>
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2006 5:56 PM

> robey wrote:
>
>>Hi, Guillermo,
>>

>>I have the following questions to ask for you about the Abridge draft:
>>

>>(1) In one part of the daft it said ?Abridges overcome Rbridges L2 network size restrictions allowing applicability to very large Ethernet campus networks while maintaining zero configuration and high performance?,But I know when Abridges are applied in core network, you have to do some configuration, e.g. determine which abridge is edge bridge (do you want to each abridge is edge bridge, so don?t need to configure?),so how  can we maintain zero configuration? .
>>
> By default all Abridges are edge bridges, transit Abridges are a subset
> functionally of edge Abridges. As in current spanning tree protocols,
> mechanisms operate at port level. A port detecting STP or RSTP BPDUs
> selfconfigures in Acces port mode, then that Abridge will work as edge
> bridge. A non edge (or transit) Abridge is an Abridge with no ports
> selfconfigured as Access ports, all ports selfconfigured as Core ports.

I agree with your explanation.

>>Otherwise in other part of the draft it said ?The parameters to  configure are those common to RSTP, such as selection of the Root Bridge and configuration of the Backup Bridges for the region and their priorities.?.
>>
>>(2) In the section 4.8,it describes the following:?-The bridge ID of the destination is translated to the  port MAC destination address of the destination Abridge at the internal Abridge table. - The frame is encapsulated with an external L2 header with  Destination Bridge ID.?I don?t know when port MAC destination address of the destination Abridge can be used in routing function? Does one destination Abridge have one or many port MAC destination address?
>>
> It might be done in both ways: many MACs of ports or a single bridge ID.
> The former requires learning of every corresponding MAC or port at
> corresponding tree branch. The later looks simpler, although a bit more
> different to current routing  in standard bridges, but the result and
> compatibility is the same.

Do you mean if using many MACs of ports Source address learning  have to be proceeded about source address of external hearder? But in section 6.2 it says " no address learning is used".Otherwise as you pointed address learning is not feasible in asymmetric spanning trees environment.

>>(3) In the section 4.8,it describes the following: ?Abridges only forward a frame received at a designated port, upstream, via the root port. The L2 external destination address can be the Destination Bridge ID itself?. I think when one switch receive in-coming data packets, it will forward data packets base ? destination address? and FID entries (also called FDB entries),so why doesn?t AMSP create FID entries in terms of root port ID and egress bridge MAC address previously?
>>
> Yes. I forgot to mention it explicitly.

Ok, you can explain it in the Abridge draft clearly.
Otherwise, on the one hand one part of the draft says no address learning is need ,on the other hand other part of the draft says address learning has to be proceeded.
Although I know you are right based your real meaning, but hope you can describe this exactly.e.g. in section 6.2 you can say " no address learning is needed in the core ports of core layer.