[rbridge] Fwd: Re: WG Review: Transparent Interconnection of Lots ofLinks (trill)

pekkas at netcore.fi (Pekka Savola) Thu, 23 June 2005 04:08 UTC

From: "pekkas at netcore.fi"
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 07:08:11 +0300
Subject: [rbridge] Fwd: Re: WG Review: Transparent Interconnection of Lots ofLinks (trill)

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
> But this seems to create confusion. Maybe I'm confused, but I don't
> think TRILL is going after creating larger layer 2 nets at all, right?
> Just attempting to do something more clever than a spanning tree for the
> layer 2 catenet.

Maybe not intentionally, but I think that will be the result.  A usage
case that has been shown has been a hospital whose network (with
thousands of hosts) is a single broadcast domain.

I think everyone can agree that instead of making such large broadcast
domains, the network should be split up by routing instead.

While TRILL would "fix" the usage case above so that using a single
broadcast domain would still "work", that would still be very bad
network design, and in the longer term, it would probably be
counter-productive.

(In our environment, what we've seen recently is *decrease* in the
size of broadcast domains/subnets due to the requirements to isolate
and filter the traffic from other hosts at the site.  Using a single
domain makes this security issue much worse.)