[rbridge] Differentiating multicast from unicast

Eric.Gray at marconi.com (Gray, Eric) Thu, 29 June 2006 19:11 UTC

From: "Eric.Gray at marconi.com"
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 15:11:08 -0400
Subject: [rbridge] Differentiating multicast from unicast

Radia,

	If I understand your meaning correctly, I think I agree.

	I believe using the 20th bit - to determine if the frame is to
be flooded, broadcast or multicast - overloads the concept somewhat
although I may not be understanding your comment.

	The reason why we've been talking about "deriving 19 bit nickname"
all along is because we were expecting to use the 20th bit to determine
if the "nickname" label is the nickname of the ingress or the egress
RBridge(s).

	As it happens - in the multicast, flood and broadcast cases - we
want to use the ingress RBridge nickname (in the label) and in the one
remaining case (unicast-to-a-known-MAC-DA) we want to use the egress
RBridge nickname.

	So the bit was always going to be used to distinguish the "send
it on the Ingress RBridge Tree" case from the "send it unicast to the
egress RBridge" case.

	However, we still want to use the appropriate outer MAC DA (i.e.
- multicast for multicast, broadcast for broadcast or unknown) as we
would otherwise not be able to take advantage of "broadcast delivery"
across a "legacy bridge" segment to deliver multicast, broadcast and
flooded frames to multiple "downstream" RBridges.  If we use unicast
MAC DA in the outer header, we will have to explicitly replicate the
frames in any upstream RBridge whenever it will be directly delivered
by that RBridge to more than one dowstream RBridge.

	In other words, given this (very simplistic) topology -

	  S-1 <---> RB-1 <---> B-1 <---> RB-2 <---> S-2

                              +---> RB-3 <---> S-3

- in order for RB-1 to deliver a frame with an unknown destination
from segment S-1 to segments S-2 and S-3, RB-1 can use a broadcast
out header MAC DA, or it can explicitly replicate it using the MAC
DA for each of RB-2 and RB-3.

	Consequently, we need to use both the 20th bit and a correct
MAC DA in the outer encapsulation.  For one thing, we need to know
- from the outer encapsulation preferrably - whether each specific
frame is multicast (so that we might apply multicast optimization)
and (possibly) what VLAN it is part of (e.g. - if it is broadcast).

	Also see one or two other comments below.

--
Eric