[rbridge] AF change handling

Suresh Boddapati <sboddapa@yahoo.com> Thu, 29 May 2008 23:07 UTC

Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 14:42:44 -0700
From: Suresh Boddapati <sboddapa@yahoo.com>
To: rbridge@postel.org
Subject: [rbridge] AF change handling
Sender: rbridge-bounces@postel.org

I think there is a problem wrt handling the change in
AF status.

Consider the following example:

- A is an RBridge with two ports P1, P2 and P3 (all in
the same inner VLAN X). It does not have any
adjacencies on P1 and P2 so it ends up being the AF
for VLAN X on P1 and P2. P3 leads to the TRILL cloud.
- There is a host H1 in VLAN X connected to port P1 of
A.
- R is a remote RBridge connected to a host H2 in VLAN
X on one of its ports.

When H2 sends a frame for H1, through the learning
mechanism, R associates H1 with RBridge A.
Subsequently, R will TRILL Unicast all frames destined
for H1 to A. So far so good.

Now assume that a new RBridge B comes up on the
segment connected to P1 and becomes the DRB and
appoints itself as the AF for VLAN X on that port. So
A is no longer the AF for VLAN X on P1. Per the spec,
nothing happens at this point.

Frames sent by H2 to H1 will continue to be sent to A
by R, but A can no longer decapsulate and put them on
P1, since it is not the AF. What is A to do?

This is similar to the recently discussed issue of
sending BPDU with TCN flag set when AF changes so that
the "local" bridges can clear their cache. One option
is for A to send something similar in its LSP.  If A
sends something saying "My AF state changed for this
VLAN on one of my ports", and all RBridges flush all
the MACs they had associated with A, it would work,
but this has scale implications. It may not be
desirable to flush all MACs associated with A just
because its AF status changed on one of its ports. It
may still be AF on other ports (in this example, A is
still AF for VLAN X on P2 and there may be a lot of
conversations active on that port, and all those MAC
addresses will get flushed unnecessarily).

Thanks,

Suresh