[trill] Alvaro Retana's No Objection on draft-ietf-trill-address-flush-05: (with COMMENT)

Alvaro Retana <aretana.ietf@gmail.com> Wed, 07 February 2018 17:28 UTC

From: Alvaro Retana <aretana.ietf@gmail.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-trill-address-flush@ietf.org, Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>, trill-chairs@ietf.org, trill@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2018 09:28:46 -0800
Subject: [trill] Alvaro Retana's No Objection on draft-ietf-trill-address-flush-05: (with COMMENT)

Alvaro Retana has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-trill-address-flush-05: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-address-flush/

COMMENT:

I have some non-blocking comments/questions:

(1) Why are the 2 VLAN Block encodings needed?  More important, when should
each be used?  Section 2.2 says that "All RBridges implementing the Address
Flush RBridge Channel message MUST implement types 1 and 2, the VLAN types...",
but I didn't see anything about the VLAN Block Only Case (2.1).  I'm wondering
if there will be cases where the support won't match and the message will then
be ineffective.

(2) In the 2.2.* sections, the description of some of the TLVs says (when the
Length is incorrect) that "...the Address Flush message MUST be discarded if
the receiving RBridge implements Type x".  What if that type is not supported
-- I would assume you still want to discard?  BTW, the Type 5 description
doesn't qualify dropping based on the type support.

(2a) Other descriptions (type 1,2,6) just talk about ignoring (not discarding).
 Is there an intended difference in the behavior?

(3) Section 2 says that "Address Flush protocol messages are usually sent as
multi-destination packets...Such messages SHOULD be sent at priority 6".  It is
not clear to me whether unicast packets (mentioned later) should also have the
same priority.