Re: dsx1/dsx3CircuitIdentifier still deprecated? (fwd)

Gary Hanson <gary@kentrox.com> Thu, 13 November 1997 15:39 UTC

Delivery-Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 10:39:30 -0500
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 07:35:39 -0800
From: Gary Hanson <gary@kentrox.com>
To: iesg@ietf.org, fred@cisco.com
Cc: trunk-mib@external.cisco.com
Subject: Re: dsx1/dsx3CircuitIdentifier still deprecated? (fwd)

Fred (trunkmib WG chair) and other IESG members,

I am still concerned about inconsistencies between the DS1/DS3 MIB
drafts and the (recently-approved) IF-MIB draft which have not yet
been resolved.  I urge the IESG to reconsider whether we can allow
the dsx1CircuitIdentifier and dsx3CircuitIdentifier objects to
become deprecated based on the now-invalidated assumption that the
ifmib WG would change ifPhysAddress to read-write when the latter WG
decided to not make that particular change.

In addition, there is an internal inconsistency within the DS3 MIB
draft regarding the deprecation itself, as described below.

Speaking for ADC Kentrox, I see no reason to deprecate these objects,
especially given that the original reason for their deprecation is
no longer valid.  Support for them had been requested by many of our
customers, they have proven their value, and I think they should stay
in the MIBs.  At least one other vendor that supports the existing
DS1/DS3 MIBs also sees their value, as Dawn Xie relates below.

Please consider my request to make this change to these drafts prior
to their release as updated Proposed Standards.  Thank you for your
consideration.

Regards,
Gary

 ______