Re: Transport services BoF

Michael Welzl <michawe@ifi.uio.no> Fri, 14 February 2014 11:46 UTC

Subject: Re: Transport services BoF
From: Michael Welzl <michawe@ifi.uio.no>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 12:45:48 +0100
To: philip.eardley@bt.com
Cc: "transport-services@ifi.uio.no" <transport-services@ifi.uio.no>, tsv-area@ietf.org

Hi,

https://sites.google.com/site/transportprotocolservices/  for more info

… but I'll answer here anyway:

there was this workshop arranged around RFC5218:
http://www.iab.org/activities/workshops/itat/

where I presented, the slides are at:
https://sites.google.com/site/transportprotocolservices/activities
This is the short paper I had there, where I tried to make the point regarding beneficial incremental deployment:
http://www.iab.org/wp-content/IAB-uploads/2013/06/itat-2013_submission_8.pdf
=> it's about using the "best effort" model: you wish for more, but live with less, potentially. At least that's one out of a few possible ways ahead.

As for who the "party" is: I think one possibility is to focus on user space implementations for a while… e.g. see http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hurtig-tsvwg-transport-apis
=> one rather straightforward deployment path is to do an update of a middleware like ZeroMQ to use different things than just TCP whenever possible in some reasonable way.

Since the main goal of TAPS is just to define the services and specify examples, it's not limiting to only one way of implementing things - from the point of view of "updating ZeroMQ", the RFCs that would come out of a TAPS-WG would just serve as implementation guidance.

Cheers,
Michael