Re: [Tsv-art] TSV-ART review of draft-ietf-nvo3-mcast-framework-09

Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org> Mon, 25 September 2017 11:09 UTC

From: Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 12:08:58 +0100
Cc: "draft-ietf-nvo3-mcast-framework@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-nvo3-mcast-framework@ietf.org>, IETF Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>, "tsv-art@ietf.org" <tsv-art@ietf.org>, "tsv-ads@tools.ietf.org" <tsv-ads@tools.ietf.org>
To: Linda Dunbar <linda.dunbar@huawei.com>
Subject: Re: [Tsv-art] TSV-ART review of draft-ietf-nvo3-mcast-framework-09

Linda,

Please see inline.
Colin

> On 22 Sep 2017, at 17:49, Linda Dunbar <linda.dunbar@huawei.com> wrote:
>
> Colin,
>
> Thank you very much for reviewing the document.
> Reply to your comments are inserted below:
>
>  <>

Yes, I understand. However, as I said, it would be appropriate to explicitly mention that generating multiple copies of the packets can cause congestion that would not be present if native multicast were used, rather than describe congestion while avoiding saying the word “congestion”.

> On a related note, the penultimate paragraph of Section 3.3 could usefully mention that overload of the MSN could result in packet loss that will appear as congestion to the endpoints.
>
> [Linda] at the end of the section, we have the following describing the overload (a.k.a. scaling issue) of this approach. Is it good enough?
> However, there remain issues with multiple copies of the same packet on links that are common to the paths from the MSN to each of the egress NVEs.  Additional issues that are introduced with this method include the availability of the MSN, methods to scale the services offered by the MSN, and the sub-optimality of the delivery paths.

No, since it says nothing about the impact of this on the endpoints. I think you need an explicit statement that “Overload of the MSN could result in packet loss that will appear as congestion to the endpoints”. The point is to explain how these effects are visible to applications using multicast.

> One congestion related issue that is not discussed, and potentially affects Sections 3.2 and 3.3, is that multicast congestion control algorithms based on asynchronous layered coding (ALC) [RFC5775] perform rate adaptation by being able to prune back the rate sent across certain branches of the multicast distribution tree. An example is the FLUTE protocol [RFC6726]. While I expect these congestion control protocols are safe to use in source-replicated or MSN-replicated scenarios, they’ll certainly have sub-optimal performance in such overlays, and will likely work better if native multicast is used in the overlay. It might be appropriate to highlight this, since the large-scale presence of applications using such congestion control schemes may drive the choice of multicast support mechanism in the overlay.
>
> [Linda] “Congestion Control” for multicast traffic is out of the scope of this draft. Maybe there should be a separate ID to describe the “congestion control for multicast traffic”.

Defining multicast congestion control algorithms is, of course, out of scope.

Noting the potential impact of NVO3 on existing IETF standards for multicast congestion control cannot be. I suggest adding text to say something like: “The use of mechanisms that emulate multicast using multiple unicast flows, as described in Sections 3.2 and 3.3, has the potential to interact poorly with applications using multicast congestion control schemes, such as those built on Asynchronous Layered Coding [RFC5775], that rely on being able to prune back branches of the multicast distribution tree for rate adaptation. Care should be taken in the choice of multicast mechanisms for deployments that need to support such applications.”

> The draft makes no mention of ECN. It could usefully cite draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-encap-guidelines-09 and highlight that the encapsulation mechanism chosen needs to support ECN if the multicast flows being encapsulated make use of ECN. Similarly, if the multicast traffic sets the DSCP (DiffServ) bits, will may need support from the overlay. Both points could potentially be noted after the first paragraph of Section 3, where encapsulation options are listed.
>
> [Linda] Again, “Congestion Control” is out of the scope of this draft. To discuss ECN for multicast traffic, there should be a separate ID.

This is not about multicast congestion control, it’s about correctly supporting IP features in the multicast overlay, so others can define multicast congestion control mechanisms.

If multicast applications that use ECN are to be supported, then the NVO3 overlay needs to support ECN. To do that, the tunnelling encapsulation used to deliver multicast traffic needs to support [draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-encap-guidelines-09]. This draft would seem the logical place for a statement to that effect. Similarly, if multicast applications that set the DSCP bits in the IP header are to be used, this likely also needs support in the tunnelling encapsulation, and this draft should highlight that such support is needed.

Note: I’m not suggesting that the tunnelling encapsulation needs to support ECN. I’m suggesting the draft needs to say that *if* the tunnelling encapsulation wants to support applications using ECN, then it must do so according to the ECN encapsulation guidelines (similarly, for DSCP).

> Editorial Nit:
> Section 1.1: Please expand the acronym “TS” on first use (it’s not expanded until Section 1.3, but is used in Section 1.1).
> [Linda] this draft assumes all the terminologies specified by NVO3 architecture (RFC8014) where TS (Tenant System) is specified

I agree. However, it’s still good practice to expand acronyms on first use.

--
Colin Perkins
https://csperkins.org/