Re: [tsvwg] 回复: 回复:Takeaways for HPCC++

"Scharf, Michael" <Michael.Scharf@hs-esslingen.de> Wed, 11 November 2020 09:39 UTC

From: "Scharf, Michael" <Michael.Scharf@hs-esslingen.de>
To: "Rui, Miao" <miao.rui@alibaba-inc.com>, Richard Li <richard.li@futurewei.com>, tsvwg <tsvwg@ietf.org>
CC: Barak Gafni <gbarak@mellanox.com>, tsvwg-chairs <tsvwg-chairs@ietf.org>, "Liu, Hongqiang(洪强)" <hongqiang.liu@alibaba-inc.com>, "Pan, Rong" <rong.pan@intel.com>, "Lee, Jeongkeun" <jk.lee@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 09:39:17 +0000
x-originating-ip: [134.108.140.248]
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] 回复: 回复:Takeaways for HPCC++

RFC 6077, as well as my thesis, deals with *routers*, which can operate over a many different link layer technologies. As far as I know, there are many link layer technologies that do not have a constant physical link capacity (WLAN , 3G/4G/5G, etc.). A typical reason is adaptive encoding and link-layer retransmissions.

But I’ll give you some food for thought for typical data center networks, in order to explain why I don’t buy *any* use of a “rate” parameter in any router algorithm.

All examples below use routers in data centers, and for none of them I understand how a parameter “capacity” or “rate” would be defined in the router.

1/ For instance, I don’t understand how a L3 switch in a datacenter network using IP routing would know the physical capacity associated to a logical IP interface, say, if the L3 switch has multiple logical IP interfaces. At least the L3 switches I use in my lab can assign IP interfaces to VLANs instead of physical ports. In that case, e.g. with VLANs, there may be no 1-to-1 mapping between the logical IP interface and a physical port. A physical port has a given capacity (say, 100 Gbps Ethernet), but that does not imply anything to IP forwarding/routing, which is controlled by the routing table. For instance, the forwarding/routing may use statistical multiplexing across VLANs. From a IP forwarding/routing perspective, several IP interfaces may then share the physical capacity (and possibly also the buffer). Say, if there are 10 VLANs in the 100 Gbps link, which capacity would be associated to one of the logical IP interfaces? If the answer was 10 Gbps, it would be an underestimation by factor 10 if there is no other traffic on the other VLANs.

2/ And note that data center networks can be more complex, e.g., when they get interconnected. In a datacenter interconnect setting, I really don’t know how a router would know the physical capacity on router-to-router interconnects. As one example, please consider a router that is connected by a 100 Gbps interface to an optical OTN switch. The OTN switch could perhaps use 10x 10 Gbps connections inside the optical transport network with some sort of link bundling (modern optical OTN switches have such capabilities, e.g. using LAGs). Now, let’s assume a fiber failure affects 9 out of these 10 connections. The available bandwidth on the router interconnect then drops to 10 Gbps (i.e., 10%), while the router still uses a physical 100 Gbps interface towards the optical switch. It is not clear to me how the router would know that the capacity has dropped to 10% other than by throughput measurements (except if one assumes technologies such as GMPLS UNI).

3/ I also don’t understand how the router would know any “physical capacity” if a data center interconnect was realized e.g. by multi-point-to-multipoint L2VPNs (e.g., VPLS). In that case, the available capacity in the L2VPN is defined by the SLAs, i.e., commercial contracts. It may be difficult for a router to know the terms of a commercial contract… Also, note that many point-to-multipoint VPNs use in their SLAs a total physical capacity into the VPN, i.e., they specify the sum of capacity to multiple routers in the VPN, but no dedicated capacity for any router-to-router link (“hose-model”). The same applies to L3VPNs.

4/ Finally, I think there is an overall industry trend to use overlay networks in data centers (and beyond) with all sorts of tunnels. So, any solution proposed for such settings will have to be able to cope with those tunnels. That might imply that a cross-layer information exchange is needed between the underlay and the overlay… That is already non-trivial for the ECN bits, and for any more complex information exchange a lot of engineering problems may emerge. And note that tunnels can be encrypted.

As far as I can tell, in research it is easy to setup a simulation model with some links between routers having some well-defined capacity. One can also do this with simple hardware setups. Well, I have done such theoretic “toy” setups in my thesis as well. BUT, as far as I can tell, the reality in engineering can be much more complex. BTW, in my thesis, I already run into a lot of challenges when I tried to add Quick-Start support to the IP forwarding/routing in the Linux kernel… Getting a “rate” parameter inside the Linux IP forwarding code was extremely difficult and only doable for trivial network setups. That is the difference between research and engineering…

Unless all these issues (and there are many more) can be solved, IMHO any algorithm inside a router must be able to work without any a-priori knowledge about any “capacity” towards the next hop in a routing table, because there is no notion of a “physical capacity” in many scenarios, and in many other scenarios the information for a next hop routing table entry could be arbitrarily wrong. A router can of course measure the available bandwidth towards the next hop in the routing table by stats, but that adds a lot of complexity in the router and it would be a heuristic like any end-to-end congestion control.

BTW, if there is an assumption that any IP interface in a router has a queue, this could also result in a lot of engineering questions, as router hardware may not be implemented that way. As far as I know, the buffer management in routers can be very complex, e.g., if H-QoS is used. But this is about router hardware design and I am not an expert for that. https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/104/materials/slides-104-wgtlgo-forwarding-plane-realities provides some interesting insights into the realization of modern routers.

So, in a nutshell, IMHO an algorithm for routers cannot and must not use any configurated “rate” parameter. As far as I understand the HPCC++ algorithm so far, the parameter “txRate” must therefore be removed from the algorithm, except if the mentioned challenges are all solved (which may be doable – I just don’t know how). Note that this is not about the algorithm itself, but about how to obtain the required input parameters.

The situation may be different for link-layer switches, in particular, if one assumes a greenfield (“clean-slate”), homogeneous link layer network infrastructure. But, as far as I can tell, there may be significant differences between a switch and a router that uses full IP forwarding/routing.
RFC 6077, as well as my thesis, tries to address the challenges in routers. If you want to propose a network supported congestion control scheme that shall work on routers, you’ll have to detail how a router can be engineered. I may be wrong, but I doubt that this is a low-hanging fruit given the functionality of a modern router.

Michael