RE: [Tsvwg] Rr:Comments on draft-lefaucheur-rsvp-dste-02.txt

"Rurick Kellermann" <rurick@nortel.com> Wed, 09 March 2005 22:27 UTC

From: Rurick Kellermann <rurick@nortel.com>
To: "Francois Le Faucheur (flefauch)" <flefauch@cisco.com>
Subject: RE: [Tsvwg] Rr:Comments on draft-lefaucheur-rsvp-dste-02.txt
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 17:24:51 -0500
Cc: tsvwg@ietf.org
Sender: tsvwg-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Francois,

See my comments in-line.

Rurick

On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 16:05, Francois Le Faucheur (flefauch) wrote:
> Hi Rurick,

RK: Agreed. My typo - meant to type ResvErr,

>          The source need not be informed about the CAC failure.

RK: Agreed.

>         In the context of achieving CAC for VoIP, the destination ,
>         upon receipt of a ResvErr, would then notify its Call Manager
>         (eg SIP Proxy/Server) that the reservation (aka "SIP
>         precondition") is not met. The CAll Manager woul take
>         appropriate action (eg abort call setup and return some tone
>         indicating network busy).

RK: Agreed. However, IMO, Section 3.5 could benefit with the explanation
that the source issues an E2E RESVErr which is issued instead of all the
individual RESV Err. messages? In other words, this is the advantage of
aggregation capabilities.

>          b) if the condition which caused the PathErr
>         message persists, say due to insufficient b/w for the
>         aggregate,
>          some
>         individual requests could have obtained a PATH if they had
>         been
>         responded individually (i.e. through a PATH message instead of
>         an
>         E2EPATH).
>         [FLF:] I am not quite with you. Say we have a TE tunnel with
>         bandwidth B which can currently fit 10 calls. Say, we have 10
>         calls that try to get established. Each source will send a
>         Path, ecah destination will send a Resv which will all be
>         accepted by CAC over teh tunnel. Say another 5 calls come and
>         the Tunnel head-end can increase the Tunnel size to fit total
>         of 15 calls. Then the 5 additional calls will get accepted.
>         Say another 5 calls come in, and say teh TE tunnel Head-end
>         can no longer increase teh TE Tunnel size. Then each source
>         for these 5 last call will send a Path and each destination
>         will send a Resv. Each Resv will be rejected by CAC on teh
>         tunnel headend and a ResvErr (with error cause "no bandwidth")
>         will be generated by teh tunnel head-end towards each
>         destination.

RK: What I meant in b) was: there are already 15 calls and the TE Tunnel
Head-end can increase the tunnel to accept 2 more calls instead of 5.
With the E2E ResvErr. 5 calls would be rejected, instead of 3 if
individual ResvErrs. had been received. At this point it is up to the
application to throttle the reservation requests, which is
implementation specific. Can your explanation above be included? Also,
any intention of adding capability to accept the  'not 5 but 3' reply?

Thanks for your replies...

Cheers, Rurick