Re: [tsvwg] Comment on "draft-ietf-tsvwg-udp-options-28" -> do we need to update the text oin the Length Field

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Sat, 23 December 2023 07:52 UTC

Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 07:52:20 +0000
To: Joe Touch <touch@strayalpha.com>, "C. M. Heard" <heard@pobox.com>
Cc: TSVWG <tsvwg@ietf.org>
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] Comment on "draft-ietf-tsvwg-udp-options-28" -> do we need to update the text oin the Length Field

On 22/12/2023 17:55, Joe Touch wrote:
> No need to- it’s actually correct.  A udp payload length of zero is a
> udp length of 8.
>
> I’ll put that in as a clarification via this thread.
I think it would be helpful to change this sentence to clarify things;

OLD:

"The UDP option area can be used with any
UDP payload length (including zero)"

NEW

"The UDP option area can be used with any length of UDP user data
(including zero).
A datagram with zero-length user data results in a UDP Length field
value of 8."

- The cost of being clearer is little for the draft and avoids this
resurfacing.

Gorry