Re: [tsvwg] Review of draft-carlberg-tsvwg-ecn-reactions-03

Bob Briscoe <bob.briscoe@bt.com> Wed, 24 October 2012 17:59 UTC

Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 18:59:24 +0100
To: ken carlberg <carlberg@g11.org.uk>
From: Bob Briscoe <bob.briscoe@bt.com>
Cc: Piers O'HANLON <p.ohanlon@cs.ucl.ac.uk>, tsvwg IETF list <tsvwg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] Review of draft-carlberg-tsvwg-ecn-reactions-03

Ken,

inline

At 20:08 23/10/2012, ken carlberg wrote:
>Bob,
>
> >> Its relevant in the sense that it is a *type* of reaction from
> the ECN signaling.  One vendor has told me in private that they
> have a preference for this approach, and I think its of value
> because it introduces the reaction on an ass needed basis instead
> of from the very begining and through the session.  But the gist of
> your concern is taken and we should probably add text that if this
> kind of reaction is taken, which would increase offered load, then
> an additional reaction (eg, employing CC algorithm, swapping to a
> lower load codec) should/must also be taken.
> >
> > I clearly don't understand what S5.2 is about (which may be taken
> as a hint that the doc probably needs to explain better). I still
> don't get it... redundancy & FEC fix loss. ECN isn't a loss, so why
> would anyone trigger a redundant transmission or FEC after an ECN mark?
>
>because its generally a fine line between the ECN marking and the
>point where one needs to acually drop the packet because of queue
>overflow (keeping in mind that we don't want huge queues for RTP
>flows).  We've done one simulation effort and a couple of
>implementations.  And in the latter case, it was a bit of a
>challenge to get that sweet spot of generating traffic (in our case,
>from an actual video feed) that triggered the ECN markings without
>overflowing the queue.  And even then, unless the feedback came back
>soon enough and there wasn't a continually added influx of flows
>from additional users (eg, a flash crowd), then the chances were
>quite good that some packets would be dropped after the initial CE
>feedback occured. If my application or session is considered mission
>critical, then using FEC in anticipation of lost packets and only
>done as needed versus the lifetime of the entire flowis a good thing.

The chances of much loss following ECN CE are, I assume, fairly low,
so it seems very tenuous to be thinking of adding the complexity of
FEC when a small amount of loss can probably be handled just fine.

>We'll definitely have to add some text to clarify our thought
>process on this particular topic.

> >> points well taken.  Within the context of the IETF, ETS is a
> generic term for preferential services that are deployed in some
> form in some of today's cellular networks.  And the numbers in
> terms of percentage of ETS users we used in our simulation are
> reflective at a very high and abstract level of what exists today
> in some cases.  (I'm sorry to be hand wavy, but I'm trying to be
> careful in my statements).
> >>
> >> And we also agree that individual flows from the end-host/UE
> perspective will not know what percentage of exempt users co-exist
> in the same "area" where congestion has occured.  This is why we
> added the word "authorized" to help distinguish the two sets in
> that some added element needs to exist to help minimize the set of
> exempt users.
> >
> > Even if you're talking about authorized users, if you get an
> emergency, you might get an influx of authorized users into an area
> to deal with the emergency. I don't need to teach granny that the
> main characteristic of emergencies is unpredictability.
>
>the numbers I've come across with today's deployed services in some
>cellular networks has shown that less than 1% within a cellular
>footprint are these "authorized" users.  In our simulations, we
>aimed at a worse case scenario of 10%.  And yes, unpredicability is
>still a cause for heartburn.

I still think a nearly unresponsive algo would give you nearly
exactly the same behaviour as exemption if 1% or 10% authorized users
did happen, but it would still avoid boiling the network if you did
get 90%. Whereas completely unresponsive would not.

Bob

>cheers,
>
>-ken

Bob Briscoe,                                BT Innovate & Design