[Tsvwg] Re: Drafts for SCTP extensions

"Randall R. Stewart" <randall@stewart.chicago.il.us> Tue, 13 February 2001 02:17 UTC

Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 20:12:09 -0600
From: "Randall R. Stewart" <randall@stewart.chicago.il.us>
To: Lyndon Ong <long@pointreyesnet.com>
CC: "'tsvwg@ietf.org'" <tsvwg@ietf.org>, sigtran@marvin.corpeast.baynetworks.com, "Michael A. Ramalho" <mramalho@cisco.com>
Subject: [Tsvwg] Re: Drafts for SCTP extensions
Sender: tsvwg-admin@ietf.org

Lyndon:

One little note/correction... after being bashed on
this by one of my co-authors several times :)

Lyndon Ong wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I would like to bring to your attention a set of drafts for extensions to
> SCTP (Stream Control Transmission Protocol) that will be discussed at the
> TSV WG session in Minneapolis.  These drafts are:
>
> draft-ietf-sigtran-usctp-00.txt
> draft-ietf-sigtran-relreq-sctp-00.txt
> draft-ietf-sigtran-srwnd-sctp-00.txt
> draft-ietf-sigtran-addip-sctp-00.txt
>
> The first document proposes the addition of an unreliable transfer mode to
> SCTP, which allows SCTP to do flow and congestion control across both
> reliable and unreliable streams.
>
> The second document proposes a generic mechanism for transmitting a control
> "chunk" reliably across an existing SCTP association.  This generic
> mechanism is then applied in the third and fourth proposals.
>
> The third document proposes an enhancement to SCTP to allow
> receiver-window-based flow control on a per-stream basis, utilizing the
> reliable control chunk mechanism.

This is really not a "flow control" but a "flow limiting" mechanism. The
title was also changed in this version of the document to reflect
that...  :-)

--
Randall R. Stewart
randall@stewart.chicago.il.us or rrs@cisco.com