Re: [tsvwg] David Black's Review of draft-finzi-priority-switching-scheduler

Emmanuel Lochin <emmanuel.lochin@isae-supaero.fr> Wed, 30 May 2018 14:35 UTC

From: Emmanuel Lochin <emmanuel.lochin@isae-supaero.fr>
To: "Black, David" <David.Black@dell.com>, "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 16:35:14 +0200
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] David Black's Review of draft-finzi-priority-switching-scheduler

Dear David,

Many thanks for this review and feedback. We keep working on the draft
content but have uploaded a new version with yours and Nicolas
suggestions. My answers in-line:

Le 07/05/2018 à 21:53, Black, David a écrit :

> I write as an individual, not as WG co-chair.  I appreciate the effort
> that the authors have made to bring this draft to the IETF.
>
> Draft status page:
>
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-finzi-priority-switching-scheduler/
>
> Slides from London tsvwg meeting (March 2018):
>
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/101/materials/slides-101-tsvwg-sessb-33-priority-switching-scheduler-00
>
> I like the slides much more than I like the draft.   My initial
> thought on reading the draft was to suggest switching the order of
> Sections 2 and 3 so that discussion of the problem in Diffserv context
> (important for IETF) would precede explanation of the solution.  After
> looking at the slides, I realized that what’s really wanted is a
> shorter up-front summary of how this scheduling technique can benefit
> a Diffserv router implementation, as slide 3 concisely explains.
> Sections 2 and 3 should then be fine in their current order if an
> analogous (to slide 3) explanation of how this scheduler benefits a
> Diffserv router implementation is added to Section 1, perhaps to
> follow the current Section 1.1.

As said to Nicolas, we are still thinking how to better organize this
part. At this stage we have modified and polished the text.

> As this draft is not intended to be standards track, I strongly
> suggest that the authors submit a PDF version in addition to the text
> version, as the PDF diagrams should be much more comprehensible by
> comparison to ASCII graphics, and it should be possible to include
> more detailed graphs.

Done, we uploaded a PDF version containing SVG figures following RFC7996

> The implementation pseudo-code and discussion in Section 2.2 might be
> better moved to an Appendix.
>
> Are there any results from simulated or actual traffic?

Yes, we implemented PSS using the TUN/TAP GNU/Linux interface and
obtained similar behavior than those we previously got with ns-2. The
code will be soon released in the same time than a draft paper
presenting the results obtained.

> Section 3.2’s pointer to the Globecom paper for the results of the
> scheduler scenario described in Section 3.1 is unsatisfying – please
> include content analogous to slide 14.

We added the figure slide 14 to clarify this part.

> Obviously, Section 4 (Security Considerations) needs to be written
> ;-).  At a minimum, I suggest comparing this scheduler to others that
> it might replace on opportunities for theft or denial of service –
> e.g., is one of the schedulers more prone to starvation of a class of
> traffic than another?

Done

> Finally, this text on p.7 bothered me:
>
>     the Assured Forwarding
>     (AF) class deals with elastic traffic as defined in [RFC4594 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4594>] (data
>     transfer, updating process, ...) while all other remaining traffic is
>     classified inside the default (DE) best-effort class.
>
> I traced my concern back to this text in Section 1.5 of RFC 4594 …
>
>     While Differentiated Services is a general architecture that may be
>     used to implement a variety of services, three fundamental forwarding
>     behaviors have been defined and characterized for general use.  These
>     are basic Default Forwarding (DF) behavior for elastic traffic, the
>     Assured Forwarding (AF) behavior, and the Expedited Forwarding (EF)
>     behavior for real-time (inelastic) traffic.
>
> In other words, a lot of the best-effort traffic is elastic, so it’s
> not correct to imply that all elastic traffic would use AF.   For AF,
> I’d suggest instead picking a relevant service class or two from RFC
> 4594, perhaps High-Throughput Data or Low-Latency Data.  Also, “(DE)”
> -> “(DF)”.

Done

> I think another version of this draft would be a good idea.

Thanks again !

EL

> Thanks, --David

> David L. Black, Distinguished Engineer
>
> Dell EMC, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA 01748
>
> +1 (508) 293-7953    Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
>
> David.Black@dell.com <mailto:David.Black@dell.com>

Emmanuel LOCHIN
Professeur ISAE
ISAE SUPAERO - Institut Supérieur de l'Aéronautique et de l'Espace
10 avenue Edouard Belin - BP 54032 - 31055 TOULOUSE CEDEX 4 FRANCE -
http://www.isae-supaero.fr
Tel +33 5 61 33 84 85 - Fax (+33) 5 61 33 83 45
Web :http://personnel.isae.fr/emmanuel-lochin/