[Tsvwg] IETF 55 TSVWG Minutes - draft

Allison Mankin <mankin@psg.com> Fri, 29 November 2002 08:36 UTC

To: tsvwg@ietf.org
Cc: sdawkins@cynetanetworks.com, sob@harvard.edu, mankin@psg.com
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 00:32:34 -0800
From: Allison Mankin <mankin@psg.com>
Subject: [Tsvwg] IETF 55 TSVWG Minutes - draft
Sender: tsvwg-admin@ietf.org

[Send corrections/amendments to the chairs/Spencer asap]

Minutes for Transport Area Working Group (TSVWG)

Co-Chairs:	Scott Bradner <sob@harvard.edu>
		Allison Mankin <mankin@psg.com>

Minutes:	Spencer Dawkins <sdawkins@cynetanetworks.com>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion:tsvwg@ietf.org
In Body: subscribe email_address
Archive: ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/tsvwg/ - or -
www.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/tsvwg/current/maillist.html

Agenda

Transport Area Roundup - Scott and Allison - 30 mins

SACK/DSACK - Mark Allman - 15 mins
 Reading:
  draft-allman-tcp-sack-13.txt
  draft-blanton-dsack-use-02.txt

Out-of-path signaling - 15 mins
  Towards a BOF in San Francisco, TBA

TCP MIB extension - Matt Mathis - 15 mins
 Issues:
  Any major functional area uncovered?  Comment now!
 Reading:
  draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-mib-extension-02.txt

Eifel - 10 mins - Reiner Ludwig
  Issue:
   Publish as Experimental?
  Reading:
   draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-eifel-response-01.txt

F-RTO - 10 mins - Pasi Sarolahti
   Reading:
    draft-sarolahti-tsvwg-tcp-frto-02.txt

Framing topics - Discussion by authors  - 25 mins
 Reading:
  draft-culley-iwarp-mpa-01.txt
  draft-williams-iwarp-ift-00.txt

Allison and Scott did the Transport Area roundup

  slides at

    http://www.psg.com/~mankin/TSV55.html

DCCP is the newest group, DIFFSERV has been in
  FIN/WAIT for a year or so waiting on its PIB, and ENUM
  is almost finished (except for privacy).

IEPREP is an interesting challenge. IPPM is well behaved,
  and stands out against similar groups in other standards
  bodies. Not making value judgments seems to help!

IPS is doing its protocol and MIB work at the same time
  (a first in IETF?) IPTEL is starting to work on IPTEL-related
  URLs. MALLOC is waiting on its MIB; MEGACO has been
  interesting but not pretty to watch.

MIDCOM is a little chancy - need to decide what's reasonable.
  MMUSIC is doing SDP additions (and has been for a while, but
  it's been an orderly process), and has been useful to cellular.
  NFSV4 is doing stuff (with 12 people - if you get your work
  done you can get to the bar sooner). NSIS is doing the next RSVP
  and is just rechartering - it may be doing MIDCOM follow-on work,
  and it may take on the defense of RSVP extensions wrt other
  standards bodies. PILC is almost finished (as soon as the
  snake finishes digesting the last, big pig Internet-Draft).

PWE3 is in transport, and why not? We ARE interested in congestion
  control. Their requirements and framework documents are almost
  last-callable. RDDP is digesting individual submissions for
  acceptance as working group docs. RMT isn't just reliable and
  isn't just multicast, but its products are being used (by the
  Post Office!), and their massive non-realtime spec went to
  Experimental. ROHC compresses headers and is beloved of
  cellular (big specs, small headers). RSERPOOL is moving past
  requirements (diligently). SEAMOBY lost one of its jobs (but
  is still looking at heterogeneous wireless links), and its
  architecture is being looked at. SIGTRAN is still producing
  documents. SIP has produced 20 documents this year and they're
  being used by ITU-T and 3GPP. We've discovered that SIP telephony
  is really IETF protocol space (security, congestion), and have
  produced the largest protocol spec ever in the IETF, and
  defined how to do SIP extensions only in IETF. SIPPING is doing
  extensions  that don't change the SIP protocol.  SPEECHSC is voice
  recognition, and SPIRITS is doing its* call waiting for the Internet,
  and TSVWG is doing lots of work, too - see below for details.
  Whew!

-- Status on using SACK and D-SACK - Mark Allman

The SACK I-D is mostly nailing down corner cases (at revision 13).
  Have added a new and easier way to count bytes in flight that
  fixed a lot of corner cases resulting from the old method (agree?)
  and added threshold retransmission back.

The SACK I-D was hummed for Proposed Standard working group last
  call and accepted by the meeting.

The Using D-SACK specification is trying to keep spurious
  retransmissions from masking real loss. This is a detection case -
  what to do when you detect spurious retransmissions is left to
  another document.

There's an (expired?) draft from Mark and Ethan on responses,
  and an EIFEL draft on responses. We don't need to tie detection
  and response to progress detection. Sally Floyd - yes, decoupled.

-- Out-of-Path Signaling - John Loughney

NSIS is doing on-path signaling, and the recharter is making this
  clear, but people in the working group are also interested in
  out-of-path signaling, so we're meeting here as a mini-BOF.

Sven van den Bosch - Towards a BOF in San Francisco

Examples - signaling to NSIS forwarders that aren't on the data path.

Lots of interest - 100s of NSIS e-mails.

Why important? Facilitates deployment, easier migration path,
  legacy equipment. There are existing products (risk of
  incompatibility).

Concerns - Addressing, Self-healing (data plane and control plane
  don't share fate), Security (additional threats to analyze).

Need to know next hop in control plane, need to tie to
  routing tables.

Work should be done in IETF, coordinated with NSIS,
  and interoperable with NSIS.

Need to focus on NSIS reuse, need to provide input
  to NSIS, need to ignore out-of-scope.

Allison - knowledge of the players in a signaling
  environment the size of the global Internet isn't
  scalable. How could this be limited to something
  plausible and still be useful? ANS: Not per endpoint,
  but perhaps per AS path. Use telephony as example.

Henning - we can only see this being scalable as a
  directory service in an AS. We used DNS beyond that.
  We don't need this to be globally scalable.
  ANS: This is too difficult to solve in NSIS.

Christian - Scott was referring jokingly to everything
  over everything else (PWE3). Is this just overlay routing
  on top of IP? We always fall into the same trap - the
  topology of the overlay doesn't follow the topology
  of the Internet. ANS: The overlay isn't Internet-wide.
  Christian - we also have experience with subsets
  of the Internet.

John Wroclawski - process question - if this problem
  is too ugly for NSIS, why is a second working group
  with the same problem and the same people any
  different? Allison: more time to focus on a different
  problem than NSIS. NSIS is an Internet protocol - this
  one isn't. John Loughney - speaking as NSIS chair,
  there's overlap but not complete overlap in the interested
  population and problem space.

Rudiger Geib - I never thought about doing this
  outside a single domain.

Markus Brunner - in favor of this kind of work,
  hoped to do it in NSIS, don't see concerns,
  it's a small addition.

-- TCP Extended Statistics MIB - Matt Mathis

"When there's a problem, ask TCP". TCP already
  measures the network, can measure the application,
  and can adjust itself.

The hourglass hides the lower layers from the upper
  layers. Good for growth but hides all the
  performance bugs. Any single performance bug masks
  all other bugs. TCP "tuning" is really debugging.

Matt described the tables in the MIB. "Triage" instruments
  show why TCPs stop sending - just figuring this out is
  extremely valuable. Most of Matt's work is on bulk
  transport, that's what comes out in the MIB.

135 instruments in 8 tables with separate controls
  (based on your diagnostic needs) - is this worth the
  overhead you save? Stats available for fast polling
  on one connection and stats live after close (so you
  don't have to catch them at FIN time).

Are the instruments complete? Do we call 'em bytes or
  octets? Like the handling of retransmitted data?
  Is the table partition and control appropriate?

Fixing false optimization in RFC 2012 - measure total
  IP load, total data to application, subtract for
  retransmissions.

"I'm not an SNMP/SMI genius" - some known issues
  (timestamps? Microseconds? 64-bit-counter sizes?
  Error semantics?

Process Issues - current IPv6 draft has good,
  non-trivial transport extensions. IPv6 planning to
  roll back to 2012bis, orphans good work. Pick it
  up in our work? Need editorial help to make this happen.

Dave Thaler - it would be good to roll this work together
  and pick up SMNP expertise in the process.

-- Eifel Response - Reiner Ludwig

Reiner cheated slightly and talked about both detection
  and response, in a short overview of Eifel. These
  started out together but have been split into two documents.
  Detection has been nailed and will be revved and last-called.
  Response should be more controversial, but there's no mail on
  the topic. Last call to flush comments.

Yogesh Swami - if you have more than one TCP connection, you can
  lose a lot of packets. What about change of subnets - a common
  source of spurious retransmits. Scott - move this discussion
  to the mailing list. Gogesh - testing with one TCP connection?
  What is realistic for response analysis? ANS: Eifel doesn't
  make TCP more aggressive.

Allison hummed "should we publish the detection document as an
  Experimental now?" Following mailing list confirmation of this
  result, it will be placed on the IESG agenda for approval as
  as an Experimental.

-- F-RTO Update - Pasi Sarolahti

Pasi made a number of changes to the F-RTO algorithm based
  on comments to 00 and 01 versions.

He's also added timestamped and SACKed variants of F-RTO.

Open issues: adjusting congestion control state when
  spurious RTO is detected - causes problems in corner cases.
  Can we make a general draft on congestion responses?

Need more mailing list discussion before this can be a
  working group document.

Sally Floyd - are detection and response mechanisms
  really orthogonal? There are three response mechanisms
  on your slides - does it really not matter which
  detection mechanism you use?

Marku Kojo - the idea of a generic response draft is to
  provide guidelines. Mark Allman - should this be in
  another document? The consensus was that we should decouple,
  F-RTO is putting detection and response back together -
  why are we doing this? ANS: It's possible to separate.
  Yogesh - if they're coupled, we still have work to do.
  Scott - need to take this to the list.

-- Framing debate - Allison says it's time to cut to the chase!

David Black - MDA iWARP draft sent here because it makes
  changes to TCP. IFT doesn't, but solves same problem.

Paul - want to reduce copy overhead for network traffic,
  reduce CPU overhead, and enable this at volume price
  points. 10-Gigabit streams generate 20 Gigabits of data
  when we copy them. We need to identify headers - if we
  don't align, we have to buffer. Don't pack MSSes. Just
  turn off Nagle (TCP_NODELAY).

Shouldn't do anything with data until TCP ACKs it?

"Just buffer the data until it can be delivered" using
  an elasticity buffer? Out of Order Delivery makes
  this really big and expensive. We only need the elasticity
  buffer if we're placing partial F-PDUs.

IFT - iWARP Framing for TCP

Costs of markers don't justify benefits. Buffering is
  still required for flow control. There's an
  architectural cost of bugs that appear only when out
  of order packets arrive. Implementation is bad for
  existing TCP silicon, bad for software
  implementations, conceptually ugly.

Unproven technology. Experiment, but use SCTP.

Ole, Broadcom - issues are cost and TCP compliance.
  Cost - silicon vendors disagree with IFT assertions.
  This is TCP-compliant - that was the goal. The issue was
  packing, and we can fix that.

Joe Touch - two semantics for TCP, on-the-wire and API.
  If you give data to an application out of order,
  you violate TCP. The problem is that we're changing
  what it means to use TCP. We can call it something
  else and use another protocol number, no problem.
  ANS: The upper layer of DDP and RMA is going to
  provide a reliable service, but it's not the same
  upper interface.

(sorry) Broadcom - DDP is about an application making a buffer
  available to TCP anyway. There's a distinction between
  placing data and delivering data. Once a buffer is provided,
  it's OK to put data in it - but not to signal the receiver.
  David Black - RFC 793 understands shared buffers and
  requires clear rules for sharing.

Pat Thaler - One of the reasons for putting a CRC in is
  because the network can corrupt the data. If a protocol
  doesn't include CRC retransmissions, it's at a disadvantage.
  ANS: What's the alternative? Telling TCP that you really
  didn't get the data you ACKed, so please retransmit?

(sorry) Sun Microsystems - there's no change in the wire protocol,
  and the socket API being the sole API is debatable.

Joe Touch - Need to be clearer about what's allowed between two
  protocols. This isn't about sockets, it's about SEND and RECEIVE.

Randy - Trying to get to SCTP level - won't give data to
  applications. Scott - if we have to modify TCP, what's the
  advantage over SCTP? Not available in hardware yet.

Pat - if one does RDMA over TCP, we can use the same stack
  for applications that use TCP directly. Two protocols
  would be prohibitive.

John Wroclawski - I would use SCTP instead of the twenty-year-old
  protocol we're trying to retrofit!