[tsvwg] Mirja Kühlewind's Yes on draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-ndata-12: (with COMMENT)

Mirja Kühlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net> Mon, 28 August 2017 15:07 UTC

From: Mirja Kühlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-ndata@ietf.org, Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>, tsvwg-chairs@ietf.org, gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk, tsvwg@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2017 08:07:05 -0700
Subject: [tsvwg] Mirja Kühlewind's Yes on draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-ndata-12: (with COMMENT)

Mirja Kühlewind has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-ndata-12: Yes

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-ndata/

COMMENT:

Mostly editorial comments:
1) Why, after all, is SSN renamed to MID? I understand that the MID was
extended to 32 bit and that the name might be more appropriate but I still find
it confusing given both fields have the same semantics. Maybe it would help to
point this out more explicitly in the document.

2) It could be helpful for the reader to also name the I and the U bits in
section 2.1; especially the U bit could be referenced when MID is explained.

3) Should there maybe be a recommendation that re-assotiating without
interleaving support could be tried if a ABORT message is received. I guess
that failure case could occur if the negation was altered in the network and
one end thinks it support interleaving but the other not...?

4) Related to my first point: I guess you only need a new I-FORWARD-TSN chunk
because you use MID instead of SSN. This seem to me that you just took the
opportunity to make this change with this extension but then it should maybe be
the spell out as a 'separate' change/improvement in the intro.

5) Really a nit but hard to read otherwise; you really need to use a comma here
(sec 1.1): OLD "If I-DATA support has been negotiated for an association
   I-DATA chunks are used for all user-messages."
NEW