Re: [tsvwg] ECN experimentation RFC3168 ECT(1) SHOULD vs MUST

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Wed, 16 November 2016 15:26 UTC

Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 15:26:23 +0000
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
To: Ingemar Johansson S <ingemar.s.johansson@ericsson.com>
Cc: "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] ECN experimentation RFC3168 ECT(1) SHOULD vs MUST

Ingemar, et al...

My promised email on draft-black-tsvwg-ecn-experimentation-03 - please
comment on list (if you wish)

There was a long thread of email off-list, much of which influenced -03,
but some of which was mentioned at the IETF WG meeting. To help restore
context to anyone interested - and to allow other people who are not L4S
authors to comment, I include some points below.

I questioned whether *the PS update* is the correct document to require
a “MUST” ECT usage. Instead, I would prefer careful use of language that
requires only IETF protocols to be used (see below).
- endpoints: I wanted to warn that choosing the ECT(1) codepoint could
result in substantially different network behaviour, and needs to be
controlled by a congestion control method specified for use with ECT(1).
(TCP-Prague could be one method that may define such mechanisms in
future. This also must work with UDP with appropriate CC.)
- API: Changing a Proposed Standard to *allow* separate (different) use
of ECT(0) and ECT(1) will have implications on application design and
recommended operational practice.
- Apps: I wanted to be careful that we did not say anything that would
dissuade applications from a choice of an ECT(0) or ECT(1) style ECN
response.
- Routers: I think any IETF “ECT Differences” proposal is REQUIRED to
specify how a router will forward CE-marked packets.
- Although currently reported measurements (that I did with Brian T, et
al - see PAM etc) don’t expect problems with “ECT Differences”, we
tested only specific cases and hence do not know all cases, that’s a
small risk!
- And... alas, what we hope for doesn’t always happen (e.g., CONEX - has
nice features), so I’d also urge to avoid changes to the PS targeting
one specific experiment (see tsvarea talk this week). There is still a
possibility that L4S may not be the last IETF-sanctioned experiment that
will ever be done with ECT(1). This draft mustn't confine those
experiments unecessarily.

Specific suggestions:

I’d like to see the “ECT Differences” text is exclusively scoped to say
that it enables Use of ECT(1) for a different *** IETF-approved sender
response to CE-marking ***. Currently the text may sound like a spec may
not need to be IETF-approved, that’s not what I expected.

I noted a NiT, I think the ID should say: “Alternative Backoff”: For
congestion indicated by ECN, use a different IETF-approved sender
response to CE-marked packets.” Although ABE defines this for “TCP”, and
“SCTP” and it could be used by UDP-based methods, as these become
standardised.

David said he is going to try to address the points raised on his slide,
and when we have discussed this new version on the list, I expect it to
be ready to progress to an adoption call.

Gorry