Re: [Tsvwg] A comment on "draft-briscoe-tsvwg-relax-fairness-00" re file-sharing

Bob Briscoe <rbriscoe@jungle.bt.co.uk> Thu, 17 April 2008 14:41 UTC

Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 15:41:40 +0100
To: Robb Topolski <robb@funchords.com>
From: Bob Briscoe <rbriscoe@jungle.bt.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Tsvwg] A comment on "draft-briscoe-tsvwg-relax-fairness-00" re file-sharing
Sender: tsvwg-bounces@ietf.org

Robb,

At 22:28 14/04/2008, Robb Topolski wrote:
>Hello Bob, thanks for the reply!
>
> > a) Could my scenario become common, even if it's not currently prevalent?
>
> > c) Who is actually correct for the Internet today? (split out into
>
>One problem with applications, as you are aware, is that some users often
>don't follow configuration guidance or instructions.  So the answer to the
>two questions above is possibly and partially.
>
>For the users that won't follow instructions, there will be users like your
>friend (mentioned elsewhere), who was running about 40 torrent
>simultaneously.

Er no - I said he was running 3 torrents.
I suspect you have misread "~40/torrent" for ~40 torrents.

This is a tricky area - I have tried to be as accurate as I can - so
pls read carefully.

>Using Azureus, presuming all 45 torrents had sufficient
>"leechers," such a mis-configuration would create an instance of a user with
>over a hundred active uploading TCP connections (unless he changed the
>setting that also limits each task to 3-4 upload slots).  But there will
>also be users that accept the reasonable installation defaults, and never go
>into "Advanced mode" to break away from the parameters set at install time.
>

>Please, though, if your statement is about some future possible condition, I
>ask you to please write it up making that point clear.

No, my statement was about a present case. And you will see I said
the Azureus client and the OS was in its out-of-the-box config state.

Another colleague also did measurements with a symmetric 9Mbps
symmetric access (6x T1 bonded together) and detected 450
simultaneously active connections - no special effort - he just ran
up a standard BitTorrent client and started downloading movies
(varying between 3 & 6 over the period measured). This was well
within the numbers expected from configuration guidelines (1200 max
active connections at 9M upstream). However, I don't have full
version nos of all his software for that case.

Certainly these may not be typical cases, but there was no intention
to do an exhaustive study to find what is typical, as protocol
engineering isn't about just typical cases. However, the fact they
'just happened' shows they're not totally abnormal.

I believe it is mostly a function of how community spirited the
user-base for a particular swarm is (how many seeders). My colleague
(the 8M ADSL one) is a member of a p2p community that prides itself
on its exclusive membership, which it limits in size, and
collectively they police for copyright violation very fastidiously.

>Your statements
>about the present condition are being relied upon in certain serious debates
>in numerous circles

I'm aware that this is important, which is why I'm trying to be careful.

>  -- including other WGs of the IETF.

Which?

>We ARE (hopefully) going to continue to transition to more symmetric
>connection model.  I don't think I have any confidence in any particular
>view of how things will look then.

Who is 'We'? The IETF is an international organisation. It has to
cater for the situation anywhere in the world. Have a look at Korea,
Japan, Hong Kong, Sweden, Denmark, Norway.
(e.g. <http://www.bharatbook.com/detail.asp?id=25141>)

Anyway, not wishing to break the habit of a lifetime, the IETF is
allowed to re-design protocols before the old ones cause predicted
problems. And it's certainly allowed to try to understand problems
that are likely to arise in the future.

>Personally, I've seen enough fads come and go, and I see part of the
>behavior on today's P2P networks being a fad of "appropriation."  Some (or
>many) of these kids are downloading media faster than they can possibly
>consume it.  It's either a hoarding reaction (e.g. "someday it will go
>away") or it's a bragging-rights thing (e.g. "he who dies with the biggest
>DVD stack, wins").  I have no data, it's just a hunch.

On what basis is an evolution like p2p likely to go away?
Swarmcasting is cool. Even ancient institutions like the BBC are
using it underneath their client to deliver their content.
Appropriation isn't a new phenomenon. For decades now some people
have been leaving their TVs on all day - sometimes 3 or 4 on
different channels in different rooms. Cable networks were built to
cope with that level of volume - it's not appropriation, but it has
the same effect.

I'm just using swarmcasting as an example of why the "flow-rate
equality" thinking prevalent at the IETF needs a serious update.

> > equality was the dominant sharing regime (e.g. if, as access speeds
> > increased, most congestion moved further into the network where FQ is
> > too unscalable, e.g. border links).
>
>You're over my head at the "FQ is too unscalable" part, but since you
>mentioned border links, as you consider this future issue, also consider
>that there may be more borders than we all might assume.  This might offload
>some of the danger, I don't know if you've included it in your
>considerations.

If you mean many borders in parallel, yes certainly. But the
scalability problem with FQ hits you for much smaller no's of users
than you currently see at borders even today. And once you get to
borders, you no longer have knowledge of which IP addresses should be
weighted differently as you do on remote access servers. At a border,
at the IP address level, a server farm looks like my gran.

>Having never seen the topography on paper before, one thing that surprised
>me was learning that the Cable MSOs cannot be modeled as a single network.
>Instead, they are several smaller metro-area networks -- one in each area,
>and each with its own border/gateways to upper-tier transit providers (one
>of which may be a company-owned backbone to other metro-areas).
>
> > I don't mind altering the figures in the draft accordingly, or
> > qualifying their applicability.
>
>Thanks, that would definitely help.  Can I also suggest using something
>other than the word, "trick?"  It's not like any of these P2P apps are
>setting up redundant connections to the same host (such as "download
>accelerators" do).

I used the word trick, because I was trying not to put a value
judgement on it (ie I wouldn't have said 'cheat'). I guess I could
just say 'technique'. But personally I thought 'trick' wasn't
perjorative. In the same vein, I have written that http browsers use
the trick of opening 2-4 connections.

>Knowing some of these P2P developers as I do, the last
>thing they want to do is harm the network

I also know p2p developers. Yes, it's not their fault personally.
They are trapped in an arms race. That's why I'm trying to work out a
way out of the arms race.

I also want to say explicitly that the draft is NOT intended to say
that p2p is the root cause of the problem. It's trying to say that
the goals of the IETF's protocols are the root cause, and we need to
understand the problem (in the context of p2p) to find better
protocol goals (at run-time not design-time).

>-- they just want to fill the
>space available.

The Internet was designed to take advantage of the cost efficiency of
packet multiplexing. If everyone filled the space available, they
might as well have a circuit-switched network.

I find nearly everyone latches on to the multiple flow issue and
hardly anyone clocks the issue of activity factor over time.

---
Finally, does this draft at least help towards understanding that we
have a problem in the way we are reasoning about this issue?

It was heading towards a sister requirements draft (in preparation
with others) introducing a proposed metric to reason about fairness.
But that's for another thread.

Cheers

Bob

>Robert M. "Robb" Topolski <robb@funchords.com>
>Hillsboro, Oregon USA
>
>Variables won't; constants aren't.
>Osborn

Notice: This contribution is the personal view of the author and does
not necessarily reflect the technical nor commercial direction of BT plc.
Bob Briscoe,                           Networks Research Centre, BT Research
B54/77 Adastral Park,Martlesham Heath,Ipswich,IP5 3RE,UK.    +44 1473 645196