RE: [Tsvwg] multiaddressing

"Henderson, Thomas R" <thomas.r.henderson@boeing.com> Mon, 29 November 2004 19:59 UTC

Subject: RE: [Tsvwg] multiaddressing
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:48:02 -0800
From: "Henderson, Thomas R" <thomas.r.henderson@boeing.com>
To: Randall Stewart <randall@stewart.chicago.il.us>, weddy@grc.nasa.gov
Cc: tsvwg@ietf.org
Sender: tsvwg-bounces@ietf.org

<snip>

> I just don't see how you can have anything simple below transport
> doing this.. It just gets more and more complicated.. IMO we should
> leave it where per-connection state can be maintained so one can
> do the necessary things...

When you say "all the transport state", what do you mean?  I do not
see it as being that daunting, perhaps because I don't assume that
a wedge implementation completely virtualizes all of the possible
network paths so that transport is unaware of path changes.

The wedge layer proposals (multi6 and HIP) assume that the wedge works
out the security issues in binding addresses to hosts.  And probably
the NAT issues in the future as well.  That leaves the congestion
control, which should be tied somehow to distinct paths (distinct
address pairs?).

SCTP implementations will support multiple paths, so they probably
won't not need much change at all in such a scenario.  TCP doesn't
support mobility, failover, or load balancing.  Depending on how
ambitious one decided to be at the wedge layer, one might try to
duplicate all of SCTP's capability there (probably not), but at least
a simple cwnd/ssthresh reset upon path change detection at the wedge
layer should not be that difficult, and would allow mobility and failover
multihoming to work correctly.

Tom