[Tsvwg] RE: U-SCTP Applications.

"Fairlie-Cuninghame, Robert" <rfairlie@nuera.com> Fri, 02 March 2001 03:09 UTC

From: "Fairlie-Cuninghame, Robert" <rfairlie@nuera.com>
To: "'Randall R. Stewart'" <randall@stewart.chicago.il.us>, 'Lyndon Ong' <lyndon_ong@eudoramail.com>
Cc: tsvwg@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 19:02:39 -0800
Subject: [Tsvwg] RE: U-SCTP Applications.
Sender: tsvwg-admin@ietf.org

Hi Randall & Lyndon,

Thank you for your responses.

As I see it, there are a few issues that need to be looked to make unified
media & signalling transport over SCTP work well.

However, regardless of any issues, in order to enable any experimentation
the most obvious piece of work required to use of SCTP as a payload
transport mechanism is the development of an sdp profile for SCTP much in
the same way that we developed a sdp profile for tcp in the SIP (& mmusic)
working group.
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-tcpmedia-00.txt
[As an aside: I think an IANA category should be opened for SDP profiles (we
already have about 6 or so including T.38).]

Is anyone working on this already or has anyone any ideas for how it should
proceed? Should it be similar to the TCP profile in that each side can elect
to be passive, active or "don't care"? How should the SCTP association be
identified ? The most obvious suggestion is to simply use any one of the
SCTP endpoint addresses (since endpoint address cannot belong to multiple
SCTP endpoints); however, this assumes that the SCTP association is already
active which is probably an unacceptable assumption.
Comments please!

As for the U-SCTP for media transport issues: [I'm new to SCTP so please go
easy on me <grin>. I'm sure these have been rasied before. Is there a SCTP
FAQ yet?]

-To avoid clipping in VoIP applications, it would be highly desriable to
allow U-SCTP packets to be sent as soon as possible. For instance, it may be
worth considering accepting (or at least the option of accpeting) U-SCTP
DATA chunks before the COOKIE ECHO is received. [Flame away. :)]
-Avoiding starvation of signalling steeams by high bandwdith payload streams
[is the Stream-based flow limiting SCTP extension sufficient?]
-The "Pushing" of high-priority signalling over media streams. Is it
necessary?

Regards,

Robert.
Nuera Communications, Inc.