[Tsvwg] terminology issues in draft-floyd-tsvwg-besteffort

Bob Briscoe <rbriscoe@jungle.bt.co.uk> Mon, 23 July 2007 11:16 UTC

Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 20:05:11 +0100
To: mallman@icir.org, "FLOYD, Sally" <floyd@acm.org>
From: Bob Briscoe <rbriscoe@jungle.bt.co.uk>
Cc: tsvwg IETF list <tsvwg@ietf.org>
Subject: [Tsvwg] terminology issues in draft-floyd-tsvwg-besteffort

Mark, Sally,

Before I went off-list for a holiday over the last couple of weeks, I said
I generally agreed with <draft-floyd-tsvwg-besteffort-00.txt>
but I had issues with some choices of terminology. Can I ask you to
consider the following changes to help the debate be more precise.
But, before I start, I just want to emphasise that I agree that it is
important for people to understand that:
- ECN is not as simple as drop
- policing bulk congestion is not as simple as no policing at all and
- measuring bulk congestion for border SLAs is not as simple as not having
border SLAs.
Or more succinctly: enforcing fairness is not as simple as not enforcing
fairness (which is pretty obvious).

1/ Simple?

The term 'Simple Best Effort' contains a value judgement about simplicity.

Many ISPs already limit their heavy users using various metrics: Volume
caps, volume pricing, deep packet inspection (=infering an app implies
heavy usage), or vaguely worded acceptable use policies tied to various
forms of monitoring that allow them to issue email warnings, reduce
priority and/or issue disconnection notices.

By saying that 'Simple BE' is the dominant traffic class in the current
Internet, you are either discounting all this policing as "not really
policing" or as "not really complex", or you are implying most ISPs don't
do any of this or most ISPs aren't planning to do more of this.

What we're trying to do is provide the simplest possible principled and
effective policing metric that is application-neutral and user-neutral; as
an alternative to all the kludges being introduced that are complex and/or
too blunt and/or non-neutral. It's most disheartening to be accused of
making the world more complex, when we believe we're making it simpler than
it would otherwise be.

The best way to avoid that value judgement altogether is to just say
"non-policed" or "unlimited", which is what you actually mean. And it would
be best not to claim (without evidence) that ISPs who don't do any limiting
are still predominant.

2/ BE?

This resource allocation debate is not about policing solely BE scheduled
traffic. It could just as easily be about policing AF (say). The core issue
that concerns you is whether ECN has to be turned on or not, so the most
precise term is surely "non-ECN".

Points 1/ & 2/ summarised: Something like "Unlimited Non-ECN" would be more
precise and preferable to 'Simple BE'.

---
I also have three strong disagreements that might be just terminology, or
might be misunderstandings of what we're proposing. All three are in areas
where we have deliberately wanted to allow vendors and ISPs to come up with
a range of solutions, which might explain your confusion. But it would be
fairer on our proposal if it was judged on the set of these 3 choices that
is both the simplest and still fully effective. The choices you have chosen
to hilite are the ones we specifically do not recommend - the most complex
and/or least acceptable.

It's tough on us to be accused of adding complexity when what we'd
recommend is actually as pretty d@mn simple as enforcing fairness can get.

3/ User pricing: Flat monthly (in our simplest effective proposal).

Please don't imply we're advocating user congestion pricing, given the
whole reason we brought re-ECN to the IETF back in 2005 was because we
found a way to limit congestion without constraining how operators price
their services to their customers. Specifically, re-ECN is designed to work
with flat monthly pricing.

4/ User policing: Bulk per-customer (in our simplest effective proposal).

Please don't imply that we're advocating per-flow policing. Admittedly we
have always shown how you could do either per-flow or per-user. Before
Oct-06 when I wrote that I-D on dismantling flow rate fairness, the
community wanted to be able to police flow rates, so we wanted to show we
could. But we neither require it nor recommend it. Our per-user policing
makes per-flow policing redundant (but it's still there if an IPS wants it).

For the avoidance of doubt, "Bulk per-customer" policing means policing all
traffic crossing the customer's sending access interface using a bulk token
bucket to regulate the bit rate of congestion marked packets to all
destinations together.

5/ Economic infrastructure: Simple pair-wise relationships (in our simplest
proposal)

Please don't imply we're making economic infrastructure more complex. All
network layer relationships would still be between directly connected
neighbours (pairwise).

Currently many border contracts between privately connected ISPs or between
ISPs and a peering exchange include an element of usage charging (as well
as interface capacity pricing). Whether based on volume, on some notion of
peak demand, or on a hybrid. We propose adding a metric (congestion volume)
that is only slightly less simple than monthly byte-volume.

However, congestion volume is much more effective, as it can be used to
make networks precisely accountable for the costs they cause in other
networks (unlike a volume metric, which depresses usage even when the
capacity is there for it).

So most of the inter-domain contracts that currently include an element of
usage might switch to using congestion volume. And those that don't include
any form of usage measurements in their contracts might stick that way.
That doesn't make any contracts any more complex.

Bob

Bob Briscoe, <bob.briscoe@bt.com>      Networks Research Centre, BT Research
B54/77 Adastral Park,Martlesham Heath,Ipswich,IP5 3RE,UK.    +44 1473 645196