Re: [Tsvwg] FW: LC review: draft-ietf-tsvwg-rsvp-bw-reduction-01.txt

"James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com> Mon, 23 January 2006 18:53 UTC

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:53:22 -0600
To: mankin@psg.com, tsvwg@ietf.org
From: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Tsvwg] FW: LC review: draft-ietf-tsvwg-rsvp-bw-reduction-01.txt
Sender: tsvwg-bounces@ietf.org

Allison

Comments in-line

At 09:16 AM 1/22/2006 -0800, Allison Mankin wrote:
>Here's a Last Call Review for the RSVP Bandwidth Reduction draft
>from the General Area's Directorate Reviewer.
>
>Allison

This is not possible.  We purposely left out discussions of preemption,
because that is not what this is doing *but* this is the way I read the
example above, as a preemption event.  This ID is only discussing taking
some BW from a flow, regardless of the type of flow (individual, aggregate
or tunnel).

We also purposely left out how a router picks which flow to reduce
from.  That is a separate idea, and there be dragons there, so we didn't
want to go there with this doc.

Also, the router has no way of knowing either flow, meaning either set of
endpoints per flow, is willing to accept this reduction, at least not in a
reasonable timeframe.

>If the router could know that the flows could be throttled, this would
>probably be the right thing to do.

This seems like a new extension to be discussed, one in which there is
something in the PATH and RESV messages indicating that a flow is willing
to be reduced to some lower BW amount at a future time in the flow.  Only
with this information can a router in the flow make a timely decision.

>However, if the flows can not be throttled, I think this will instead
>result in both flows being thrown off, and then a race to reestablish the
>flows.

If this comment above, which seems a little out of context to me reading
this, is stating a router can make a bad choice and reduce two flows by 10
units each instead of one flow by 20, I have to ask where did a reader or
coder come up with this idea?  I believe anyone who is trained in the art
of RSVP coding will not code an implementation in this way without knowing
of the pitfalls of this mistake to all flows they choose to reduce BW from.

If you want, I can add a comment something like this:

"Bandwidth SHOULD NOT be reduced across multiple reservations at the same
time, in reaction to the same reduction event.  A router not knowing the
impact of reservation bandwidth reduction on more than one flow may cause
more wide spread ill effects than is necessary."

I think this leaves room for a future RSVP extension to "update" this
document with how this can be done successfully.

>Thus, instead of disrupting one flow, two flows will be hurt for a
>time.
>I am not sure that is actually what this does.
>Even if I am correct, that is not a reason to refrain from publishing
>this.  However, it would suggest a note of caution.
>
>Nit:  In the example in section 3, it is confusing to use Flow A, Flow B
>and Aggregate A (Of Flows 1-5) and Aggregate B (Of flows A-E).  Couldn't
>the aggregates be X and Y (or I and J, or...)

I could make this change as well, probably to Aggregates X and Y.

>Nit: In the example description in section 3.1, it would be helpful if the
>description of the 880k "offered" said "offered load".  I was confused and
>thought it might mean offered capacity which would be completely backwards.

fair change request