Re: [tsvwg] WGLC for draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-dtls-encaps: To End 28th February 2014

Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen@lurchi.franken.de> Mon, 03 March 2014 17:16 UTC

From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen@lurchi.franken.de>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 17:15:53 +0000
To: "Karen E. Egede Nielsen" <karen.nielsen@tieto.com>
Cc: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>, tsvwg WG <tsvwg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] WGLC for draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-dtls-encaps: To End 28th February 2014

On 03 Mar 2014, at 16:50, Karen E. Egede Nielsen <karen.nielsen@tieto.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have also read the draft now.
>
> Following up on the below I think that one need to explicitly state that
> it is required for SCTP
> PMTUD to be implemented in accordance with RFC4821 in the (extreme)
> variant where one do not rely on ICMPs
> at all.
Based on the discussion on the list the next revision will contain a section
reading:

<section title='General Considerations'>
<t>An implementation of SCTP over DTLS MUST implement and use a path
MTU discovery method that functions without ICMP to provide SCTP/DTLS
with a MTU estimate.
An implementation of "Packetization Layer Path MTU Discovery"
<xref target='RFC4821'/> either in SCTP or DTLS is RECOMMENDED.</t>
</section>

Does this text address your issue?

> I further would like to add, here but it need not go into the draft,
> that I consider this to be somewhat of a limitation of SCTP over DTLS.
> Indeed
> quoting from RFC4821, section 2:
>
>   Packetization Layer Path MTU Discovery (PLPMTUD) is a method for TCP
>   or other Packetization Protocols to dynamically discover the MTU of a
>   path by probing with progressively larger packets.  It is most
>
> ^^^^^^
>   efficient when used in conjunction with the ICMP-based Path MTU
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   Discovery mechanism as specified in RFC 1191 and RFC 1981, but
>   resolves many of the robustness problems of the classical techniques
>   since it does not depend on the delivery of ICMP messages.
>
> Further one may note that the IPv6 node requirements, RFC6434, mentions
> RFC4821,
> but does not stipulate for nodes to implement it.
>
> I know of some SCTP implementations that "supports" RFC4821, RFC4820
> without
> actually supporting the ICMP black hole part of RFC4821. I.e., they
> support classical PMTUD
> with all the clarifications and improvements that RFC4821 adds, but they
> still rely on the return of an ICMP in order
> to not handle a lost probe as a congestion event.
Even an SCTP/IP implementation has to deal with the case that no ICMP
packets are received. So if you get them, you can optimize your discovery,
but you must need it. So it might make sense not to increase your T3 in
case of a probe packet (HEARTBEAT with PADDING) is lost.

However, I leave that out of the document.

Thanks a lot for your comments.

Best regards
Michael