Re: [tsvwg] Further thoughts on maturity of multipath

Anna Brunström <anna.brunstrom@kau.se> Thu, 30 March 2023 00:01 UTC

From: Anna Brunström <anna.brunstrom@kau.se>
To: Ian Swett <ianswett=40google.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, "Markus.Amend@telekom.de" <Markus.Amend@telekom.de>
CC: "quic@ietf.org" <quic@ietf.org>, "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 00:01:44 +0000
x-originating-ip: [130.243.27.149]
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] Further thoughts on maturity of multipath

From: tsvwg <tsvwg-bounces@ietf.org> On Behalf Of Ian Swett
Sent: den 28 mars 2023 12:04
To: Markus.Amend@telekom.de
Cc: quic@ietf.org; tsvwg@ietf.org

I don't have a strong opinion on EXP vs PS, but the conceptual structure of MPTCP, MP-QUIC, and MP-DCCP don't seem equivalent to me.

Hi Ian, could you expand on what conceptual differences you see with respect to concurrent path usage? Is it related to safety or you are thinking of something else?

The potential safety issues involved in concurrent use of more than one path seem conceptually similar to me for all three protocols (ask well as for SCTP), even if there are other differences between the protocols.

The publication of MPTCP as PS suggests that concurrent path usage is considered safe. But I can agree with Martin that the use may have been mostly for particular use cases so far and perhaps not much general use and there is no coupled CC published as PS yet. It is also very easy to get wrong. From that perspective, I think it makes sense to leave general use of concurrent paths out of scope.

Unless someone sees other safety issues, I am in favor of PS for both MP-DCCP and MP-QUIC. From my understanding, this will make it easier to make use of the protocols by other standardization organization. That seems desirable from an IETF perspective.

BR,
Anna