[Tsvwg] Quick-Start for TCP and IP

Sally Floyd <floyd@icir.org> Mon, 24 June 2002 19:30 UTC

To: tsvwg@ietf.org, mankin@isi.edu, Scott Bradner <sob@harvard.edu>
cc: Amit Jain <ajain@netscaler.com>
From: Sally Floyd <floyd@icir.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:48:30 -0700
Subject: [Tsvwg] Quick-Start for TCP and IP
Sender: tsvwg-admin@ietf.org

Amit Jain and I have a new internet-draft on
Quick-Start for TCP and IP, available at:

http://www.icir.org/floyd/papers/draft-amit-quick-start-00b.txt

We would appreciate any feedback from this communitu.

This is something that it would take some time to deploy, and it
might or might not be a good idea, but it could significantly reduce
transfer times for moderate-sized best-effort traffic over
underutilized, high-bandwidth infrastructures...

We would note that this is not (at the moment) an official tsvwg
work item, or even an official internet-draft (since we missed the
submission deadline).

Thanks,
- Sally

Abstract:

   This draft outlines an optional Quick-Start mechanism for transport
   protocols to determine an optional allowed initial congestion window
   or initial sending rate at the start of a data transfer.  This
   mechanism is designed to be used by a range of transport protocols;
   however, in this document we only describe its use with TCP and IPv4.
   By using Quick-Start, a TCP host, say, host A, would indicate its
   desired initial sending rate in packets per second in a Quick Start
   Request option in the IP header of the initial TCP SYN or SYN/ACK
   packet. Each router in turn could either approve the specified
   initial rate, reduce the specified initial rate, or indicate that
   nothing above the default initial rate for that protocol would be
   allowed.  The Quick-Start mechanism also can determine if there are
   routers along the path that do not understand the Quick Start Request
   option, or have not agreed to the initial rate described in the
   option. If all of the routers along the path have agreed to the
   initial rate in the Quick-Start Request, then TCP host B communicates
   this to TCP host A in a transport-level Quick-Start Response in the
   answering SYN/ACK or ACK packet.  Quick-Start is designed to allow
   TCP connections to use high initial windows in circumstances when
   there is significant unused bandwidth along the path, and all of the
   routers along the path support the Quick-Start Request.  We note that
   this is currently not a mature proposal, but an outline of one
   possible path of development in the IP protocol, and a request for
   feedback from the community.