Re: [Tsvwg] [Capwap] ECN support when tunneling user packets in CAPWAP

<Dorothy.Gellert@nokia.com> Tue, 21 October 2008 02:10 UTC

Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 20:05:20 -0500
From: Dorothy.Gellert@nokia.com
To: magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com, capwap@frascone.com
Cc: tsvwg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Tsvwg] [Capwap] ECN support when tunneling user packets in CAPWAP
Sender: tsvwg-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Magnus,

When we developed the capwap requirements years ago, we wanted to provide for the private corporate internel networks as well as implementations that traverse open IP networks, resulting in some hardware inplementations that target the closed network case.    For this reason, we didn't require full ECN support.

In order to address your concerns in light of our WG operating procedures, and to prevent causing current implementations to barf, would you agree to allow the spec to require the limited ECN functionality option with text to note that full ECN functionality should be supported in environments that run across the open internet?

We can then pursue your option to develop full ECN functionality in the next release.

Would this approach meet your concerns?

Best Regards,
Dorothy