Request Guidelines for NSAP allocation to move to Draft Standard

colella@nist.gov Fri, 04 February 1994 14:45 UTC

Date: Fri, 04 Feb 1994 09:51:47 -0500
To: wk04464@worldlink.com
Subject: Request Guidelines for NSAP allocation to move to Draft Standard
Cc: colella@nist.gov, noop@merit.edu, tuba@lanl.gov
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: colella@nist.gov

Dave,

Since you're one of the former ADs for the no-longer extant OSI Area,
I believe this is in your bailywick as a left-over item.

I'm requesting that I-D draft-ietf-osinsap-allocation-01.txt,
"Guidelines for OSI NSAP Allocation in the Internet," be advanced
from its current status as a Proposed Standard (as RFC1237) and
published as a Draft Standard RFC.

Below is some relevant information on the state of the document.

--Richard

                          Status of
      "Guidelines for OSI NSAP Allocation in the Internet"

Abstract
--------

   CLNP is currently being deployed in the Internet.  This is useful to
   support OSI and DECnet(tm) traffic.  In addition, CLNP can be used
   to support TCP- and UDP-based applications as described in RFC 1347
   [17].  Required as part of the CLNP infrastructure are guidelines
   for network service access point (NSAP) address assignment.  This
   paper provides guidelines for allocating NSAP addresses in the Inter-
   net.

   The guidelines provided in this paper have been the basis for initial
   deployment of CLNP in the Internet, and have proven very valuable
   both as an aid to scaling of CLNP routing, and for address adminis-
   tration.

Changes between RFC1237 and the I-D
-----------------------------------
The I-D has been updated with:

	- input from RARE on the RARE NSAP format,

	- information about how IDRP interacts with the allocation
		scheme (note that it does not change the allocation
		scheme), and,

	- less of an emphasis on a hierarchical set of service
		providers and more as a mesh of providers (this is
		primarily cosmetic).

Implementation Audit Trail
--------------------------
Vendors that have CLNP and associated routing protocols that implement
NSAPs according to the Guidelines include:
	3com
	cisco
	DEC
	HP
	IBM
	Proteon
	Sun
	Wellfleet

Organizations that have used the Guidelines as the basis for
allocations include:
	AlterNet
	BARRNet
	ESNet
	Europanet
	Nearnet
	NSFNet
	NSI
	SESQUINET/Texas
	SURANet
	US Department of Defense Registration Authority

WG Review and Consensus
This document has been in active use for over two years.  A recent
request to interested working groups (NOOP and TUBA) resulted in
no objection to it moving forward.

Optional Functionality
There is no optional functionality.