Revision on RFC1237, Guidelines for NSAP allocation

colella@nist.gov Sat, 29 January 1994 15:35 UTC

Date: Sat, 29 Jan 1994 10:41:02 -0500
To: noop@merit.edu, tuba@lanl.gov, ietf-osi-nsap@osi.ncsl.nist.gov
Subject: Revision on RFC1237, Guidelines for NSAP allocation
Cc: colella@nist.gov, callon@wellfleet.com, epg@gateway.mitre.org, yakov@watson.ibm.com
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: colella@nist.gov

Folks,

It's time to request that the guidelines document for NSAP allocation
in the Internet be moved forward.  Formerly RFC1237, there is a new
version published as I-D draft-ietf-osinsap-allocation-01.txt.  The
changes between the RFC and the I-D are minimal and outlined below.

We'll be requesting that the document move from its current status as a
Proposed Standard (as RFC1237) and published as a Draft Standard RFC.
If anyone has any comment on either the document content or the proposal
to move it forward in the standards track let me know by next Friday
(Feb. 4).

Thanks,
Richard

Changes between RFC1237 and the I-D
-----------------------------------
The I-D has been updated with:

	- input from RARE on the RARE NSAP format,

	- information about how IDRP interacts with the allocation
		scheme (note that it does not change the allocation
		scheme), and,

	- less of an emphasis on a hierarchical set of service
		providers and more as a mesh of providers (this is
		primarily cosmetic).

Some additional text may be added in the appendix detailing how and
where to get NSAPs in Europe (pending the outcome of this weeks
RIPE meeting).

Abstract
--------
>From the current I-D:

   CLNP is currently being deployed in the Internet.  This is useful to
   support OSI and DECnet(tm) traffic.  In addition, CLNP has been pro-
   posed as a possible IPng candidate, to provide a long-term solution
   to IP address exhaustion.  Required as part of the CLNP infrastruc-
   ture are guidelines for network service access point (NSAP) address
   assignment.  This paper provides guidelines for allocating NSAP
   addresses in the Internet.

   The guidelines provided in this paper have been the basis for initial
   deployment of CLNP in the Internet, and have proven very valuable
   both as an aid to scaling of CLNP routing, and for address adminis-
   tration.