progress on our future: TUBA

Mark Knopper <mak@merit.edu> Thu, 18 March 1993 14:05 UTC

Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1993 08:59:01 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Mark Knopper <mak@merit.edu>
To: stev@ftp.com
Subject: progress on our future: TUBA
Cc: tuba@lanl.gov

Date:    Mon, 08 Mar 1993 17:30:37 EST
To:      mak@merit.edu, peter@goshalk.lanl.gov, tsuchiya@thumper.bellcore.com,
	 christian.huitema@sophia.inria.fr, deering@parc.xerox.com,
	 jnc@lcs.mit.edu, ullman@process.com, hinden@eng.sun.com
cc:      stev@ftp.com

From:    stev@ftp.com  (stev knowles)
Subject: progress on our future

Sender:  stev@ftp.com
Repository: babyoil.ftp.com
Originating-Client: d-cell.ftp.com

> gentlemen, i would like to take a minute to interrupt your busy schedules to
> ask you to provde to me, in my capacity as an Area Director for the Internet
> Area, a synopsis of the current status of your continuing work towards
> solving the problems which we are refering to as the "new IP" problem.
>

> hell of a sentence, huh? at this point, in order to look like it have a
> vague idea of what is going on, i woudl like a quick note as to what you
> feel your current status is. ideally, it woudl touch on at least the
> following areas, which have been deemed interesting:

The current status of TUBA is implementation. There are several implementations
in progress and we are planning a demo at IETF. Documents include the
base of ISO standards for the network layer and a number of additional
RFCs and internet drafts. Since TUBA uses an existing network layer
protocol, MIBs and other network protocol and service components are
already well documented and developed. I will give more details below.

implementations completed/in progress

cisco - telnet/tuba (Dino F.)
NCSA Telnet - telnet and ftp/tuba (Richard Colella)
BSD4.4/BSDI kernel and applications (Keith Sklower, Peter Ford)
RS/6000 AIX 3.2 kernel and applications (IBM Milford, etc.)

I have heard of several others but it is too early to demonsrate or
list them.

docs, both of the implementations and in general abotu your approach

draft-ietf-tuba-clnp-02.txt
draft-ietf-tuba-address-00.[ps,txt]
RFC 1347
RFC 1348
Survey of OSI in the Internet, Sue Hares
RFC 1139 revised, draft-ietf-noop-echo-01.txt
draft-ietf-noop-tools-00.txt

Also, Peter Ford and Dave Katz have written a paper that will be in
an upcoming issue of IEEE Network.

any MIBS you have created

We are using the existing state of the art, eg. RFC 1238 CLNP & ES-IS MIB.

integration you have preformed in areas like DNS, ROUTING (RIP and OSPF),
	SNMP, and addresses embedded in applications (like ftp).

DNS: Bill Manning has modified named and resolver routines. We will
     demonstrate these at IETF.
Routing: RIP - does not apply
         OSPF - does not apply
         IS-IS - done
         ES-IS - done
         IDRP - Multiple implementations in progress (eg. Sue Hares
                and John Scudder on gated)
         cisco IGRP - done
Encapsulation: The EON encapsulation method is being used for CLNP
               transit across NSFNET. (Sort of a CLNPAE...)
SNMP:    SNMP over UDP over CLNP is not done yet. Will be tested on
         a unix platform once tuba support is ready.
FTP:     Supported by NCSA telnet.

> i would appreciate it if you would *only* reply to me, with questions or
> status. i woudl rather not get copies of all the things like docs, pointers
> to electronic copies would be appreciated.

Sorry, I thought some other folks would be interested too. Especially in
case any of this needs correction or clarification.

> thanx for the effort. hope to see you all in lovely ohio. . .

> stev knowles

I think the whole Merit staff will be piling into vans and driving down
to Columbus.... See you all there.

	Mark
resident troublemaker, IESG