Re: [GNAP] Gathering Consent and Authorization

Denis <denis.ietf@free.fr> Fri, 09 April 2021 15:11 UTC

From: Denis <denis.ietf@free.fr>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2021 17:11:49 +0200
Subject: Re: [GNAP] Gathering Consent and Authorization

Hi  Justin,

"Gathering Consent"  is not solely related with a section that would be
called “Interaction at the AS”.

For authorizing a method on an object, the RS (or more precisely the RO
controlling that object) is wishing to obtain some privileges
(i.e. attributes types and /or rights ) inside an access token that may
be issued by *one AS among several ASs*.

The privileges a RS is wishing to obtain should be proportionate to the
method that is being requested on the object. This means that
in the first access to a RS, the client should advertise both the method
and the object on which the method applies and then in its response,
the RS should indicate which choices are possible and the reason(s)
behind each choice ("User Notice").

In general, it is possible to decompose the end-user choice into three
consecutive choices:

    a) a first choice for selecting the AS,
    b) a second choice for selecting different privileges *types *(i.e.
    attributes types and /or rights types) for the selected AS,
    c) a third choice selecting different privileges *values *for the
    selected privileges types (i.e. attributes type values and /or
    rights types values)

If a RS is only trusting one AS, the first choice becomes a YES or NO
question. The second choice must be based on information provided by the RS,
since only the RS is knowing the rational to request some set of
privileges. In such a case , the dialogue with the end-user can be done
either
*directly at the RS* or *locally at the client* using information
provided by the RS. The third choice must be done at the AS.

If a RS is trusting more than one AS, the first and the second choices
must be done before contacting an AS (see above), while the third choice
must be done at the AS.

Denis

PS. I have not yet read through the new text.