Re: SNMP goals (was Re: Row Create/Delete PDUs

Bill Norton <wbn@merit.edu> Mon, 30 November 1992 15:16 UTC

To: mlk%bir.UUCP@mathcs.emory.edu
Cc: snmp2@thumper.bellcore.com
Subject: Re: SNMP goals (was Re: Row Create/Delete PDUs
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1992 10:17:18 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Bill Norton <wbn@merit.edu>

  >If we could get it just right, having a row create/delete would probably
  >be nice.  But experience has shown that mistakes have been made in the
  >past, and table row creation has had to evolve into acceptable solutions
  >that are in use today, and probably will have to evolve in the future.

   When you refer to "mistakes", I assume you are referring to the other
techniques used for row-creation (xxType, RMON shuffle, et.al.). This is
precisely why we need to settle this creation business once and for all.
NMSes still haven't reached the stage where they can effectively manage
an internet, yet we continue to change the rules on row creation.

   Which leads me to my question.... Once the RMON shuffle is defined in
the Textual Conventions document, can other row-creation techniques be
defined as well (i.e. the evolution eluded to above)?

   If the answer is Yes then we are creating an environment with n ways
to solve a problem instead of standardizing on one.  If the answer is
No, then we have no evolution.

Bill