Re: Proposal supporting RowStatus (was Re: RowStatus

case@cs.utk.edu Tue, 15 December 1992 15:57 UTC

Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1992 10:57:34 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: case@cs.utk.edu
MMDF-Warning: Parse error in original version of preceding line at CNRI.Reston.VA.US
To: snmp2@thumper.bellcore.com
Subject: Re: Proposal supporting RowStatus (was Re: RowStatus
Cc: mlk%bir.UUCP@mathcs.emory.edu

Michael:

It seems to me that your proposal is redundant.  The reason it seems this way
to me is that I believe that when a manager sees RowStatus in a table and in
the IMPORTS clause, it can simply and unambiguously know how RowStatus works
on that table.  If it is called something it does not recognize and/or is
imported from somewhere unknown, then the manager is not going to be able
to handle it, just like it won't be able to handle a value in your proposed
clause that it doesn't recognize.  Therefore, what we have today and what
you propose is equally strong in both cases -- those when the technique is
recognized and when the technique is not recognized.  As a result, it adds
little or no additional value, so I can't see a benefit of considering it
further.

regards,
jdc