Re: Relative URLs, // and ;

Erik Guttman <eguttman@ns.incog.com> Thu, 06 February 1997 16:52 UTC

Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 16:25:11 -0800
To: uri@bunyip.com
From: Erik Guttman <eguttman@ns.incog.com>
Subject: Re: Relative URLs, // and ;
Cc: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
Sender: owner-uri@bunyip.com

How could one express an attribute which has multiple values?
say we have:

//moremaps.com/us/ma/cambridge;features=roads<some syntax>schools<some
syntax>churches

Could the <some syntax> be a "+", say?

I am working on the Service Location Protocol (SLP).
We associate attributes with services.  The services are
identified using a service: URL scheme.  Since these
attributes have multiple values and may be quite extensive
in number and size we include a mechanism in SLP to register
and transfer them in replies outside of the URL. It may be
useful to include SLP attributes in the service: URL,
for small numbers of reasonably sized attributes.

The discussion makes it clear that attributes can be used
quite effectively in URLs, but only discusses single valued
attributes.

Thanks,

Erik Guttman
Sun Microsystems