URL for imap: protocol

"Steven D. Majewski" <sdm7g@elvis.med.virginia.edu> Fri, 17 June 1994 23:56 UTC

Date: Fri, 17 Jun 1994 19:01:55 -0400
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "Steven D. Majewski" <sdm7g@elvis.med.virginia.edu>
To: uri@bunyip.com
Subject: URL for imap: protocol

I have asked this on the imap mailing list and thought I should
also ask here. ( Please reply directly to me, or at least CC me:
I have only just send a subscribe message to uri-request moments
before sending this message. )

(1) Have there been any proposals for a URL for the imap protocol ?

(2) I don't quite understand URL's for mid: and cid:
    [ see last paragraph of last included message. ]
    Shouldn't they be subordinate to a URL that specifies a protocol
    ( like news: (nntp) or imap:, for example ) so that they can be
    actually located and accessed ?  But I *don't* get the impression
    from the draft spec. that URL's can be chained in a hierarchical
    relationship (  news://.../mid:.../cid:... ? ). If they CAN'T,
    then don't they really belong as part of a URN rather than a URL?

- Steve Majewski       (804-982-0831)      <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU>
- UVA Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics

[ included: two messages I send to imap mailing list. ]

--- Forwarded mail from "Steven D. Majewski" <sdm7g@elvis.med.Virginia.EDU>