Re: Proposed Namespace for the Digital Video Broadcasting Project (DVB)

Leslie Daigle <leslie@thinkingcat.com> Fri, 09 November 2007 20:42 UTC

Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 15:42:33 -0500
From: Leslie Daigle <leslie@thinkingcat.com>
To: Alexander Adolf <alexander.adolf@micronas.com>
Cc: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>, urn-nid@apps.ietf.org
Subject: Re: Proposed Namespace for the Digital Video Broadcasting Project (DVB)

Sigh.  Sorry -- this is a little beyond the 2-week window,
but the points are rather important.

This document (or, rather, the current -01 version) is
extremely light in the Namespace Considerations and
Community Considerations sections.

Namespace Considerations should have sentences that explain
why no existing URN namespace is adequate, and a new
formal NID should be assigned. (I can infer an answer
from the text you have there, but the document really ought
to be explicit).

Community Considerations should make it clear why
this needs to be a formal URN namespace: what does the
Internet community at large gain from having this
namespace registered?  Who, outside the DVB immediate
community, will benefit from this?  Benefits can include
ability to reference DVB xml fragments in standards
worldwide.  It doesn't have to solve world hunger ;-)
but it should be clear to the reader that this is
relevant beyond a closed community.

Thanks,
Leslie.

Alexander Adolf wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> We would kindly like to propose registration of a URN namespace for
> the Digital Video Broadcasting Project (DVB). The project deals with
> developing specifications for digital TV. DVB specifications are the
> leading global digital TV standards. To learn more about DVB you
> might consider visiting
>
>     <http://www.dvb.org/>
>
> The urn:dvb namespace proposed for DVB will be used to identify
> metadata definitions issued by DVB (e.g. XML Schemas and
> Classification Schemes) for "plain old broadcast" applications as
> well as for IPTV applications. The I-D conveying the full proposal
> can be found at
>
>     <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-adolf-dvb-urn-00.txt>
>
> Thank you very much in advance for your considerations.
>
> Looking forward to your comments,
>
>   --alexander adolf
>     chair DVB TM-GBS
>

> Micronas GmbH
> Company Headquarters / Sitz der Gesellschaft: Freiburg i. Br. - Municipal Court of / Amtsgericht: Freiburg i. Br. HRB 428. VAT ID / USt-IdNr.: DE 811127087
> Management / Geschaftsfuhrung: Dr. Wolfgang Kalsbach, Chairman / Vorsitzender, Hans-Jurgen Desor, Klaus Heberle,
> Nikolaus V. Kaeppeler, Wilfried Lowinski, Dirk Wieberneit, Wolfgang Kuhn - Chairman of Supervisory Board / Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Heinrich W. Kreutzer

"Reality:
      Yours to discover."
                                 -- ThinkingCat
Leslie Daigle