[URN] no meeting?

Leslie Daigle <leslie@Bunyip.Com> Tue, 24 March 1998 14:50 UTC

Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 09:50:09 -0500
From: Leslie Daigle <leslie@Bunyip.Com>
To: urn-ietf@bunyip.com
cc: jcurran@bbn.com
Subject: [URN] no meeting?
Sender: owner-urn-ietf@Bunyip.Com

Hey!  I will allow the resounding silence surrounding my call for agenda items
to suggest that people are quite happy with the status quo of the
documents, and there is in fact nothing to discuss in LA.

Previous experience suggests that, if we get together for a meeting, we
will in fact find plenty of material to disagree about, and impede our
own forward progress.

So, if no one can suggest concrete agenda items, per my message of last
Thursday (attached), I'll tell the IESG that we're all-but-done and
that we're relinquishing the meeting slot that I mistakenly reserved
for us.

Thanks,
Leslie.

  "_Be_                                           Leslie Daigle
             where  you
                          _are_."                 Bunyip Information Systems
                                                  (514) 875-8611
                      -- ThinkingCat              leslie@bunyip.com

[Leslie's message of Thu, Mar 19, 1998]

Hello all,

I'd like to put together the agenda for our meeting in LA.  There are
some points which previous experience suggests might be fruitful in
terms of generation of discussion, but I'd like to flush out issues
_now_ so that we can have an organized meeting session.

I don't want to stifle discussion or suppress creativity, but I remarked
during the Washington meeting that the discussion would have been
more useful if we'd had time to talk about/think about the points
beforehand.  After all, if the issues are THAT important to people,
I'm confident you can invest 5 minutes in writing them down and sharing
them now!

What I'd like to ask you is to send any issues you currently perceive
as needing discussion to the mailing list before Thursday of next week.
Hopefully, this will give us a "leg up" on discussion before the meeting.
I will circulate a draft agenda at (or about) 5pm EST on Thursday,
March 26.

If issues don't make it onto that agenda, I reserve the right to be
ruthless about cutting off discussion of them during the meeting.

To help people get into gear for this, here's a little of what
I think might generate discussion points:

As the documents stand now, this group is essentially done with the
bulk of its work.  The proposal for the outstanding issue of contention
is (from draft-ietf-urn-nid-req-02.txt):

	. x- is reserved for "experimental" NIDs
	. there is a straightforward, mechanical method whereby anyone
	  can get a NID assigned (where the NID will be some sequence of
	  numbers)
	. there is a slightly more formal, yet mechanical, method
	  for achieving assignment of requested NID strings.

Once we finish with the final details of this draft (e.g., where to
submit the required detail), we can thus expect to see URNs "go live",
and urns such as:

	urn:x-myspace:who-needs-hierarchy-anyway
	urn:0123486999:somepublisher-cooking.chocolate.12340-666
	urn:catspace:dinner.mouse.munch.munch.munch
	urn:pdi://oma.eop.gov/1997/09/01.text.2

appearing shortly thereafter.

I think this is a workable proposal; unless there is further discussion
that yields a better, suitable, implementable proposal, this is how
things will go forward.

So, discussion item, anyone?

Thanks,
Leslie.